Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Team Hats

Team hats! Too nerdy? I love these. These hats are what has become of the beloved tiny stash of Shelter that I bought at Loop last fall. I think there's enough left for one more, but since we are a team of two at the moment (Philly! Italy! Take care of my babies!) I think two team hats is enough. The matching hot pink pompoms really sell the whole thing, I think. Somebody chased us down the noodle aisle of the health food store on Saturday just to tell us how great the hats were, and I am convinced it is the matching hot pink pompominess that makes them so pursuable.

Doesn't he look great in it? He's really game for anything. This pattern (The Conversationalist by the Plucky Knitter) is all kinds of things I love: simple, adaptable, uses up the scraps, FREE--what more could you ask? The pattern has taken off like mad, and while simple, striped, worsted-weight hats and their patterns are abundant in the world, this one is for one thing actually slouchy-- (I'm looking at you, every single other hat I've ever made) and it is for another thing shown in the pattern photos in lots of bright colors, which makes you want to knit a whole bunch of them, and is why I dragged that hot pink Not Shelter yarn up out of the stash to use for the pompoms. It's a lightly spun single with very little twist, called something like "Bit O' Sheep" or " Full O' Wool" or something equally weird--I think it's discontinued and I don't have the label, so my recollections are old and vague, but it has survived many a stash purge, because I knew it would be perfect for something, and here is that something. I used my cardboard circles method (I talked about it here) for these, and they are plenty full and fluffy. Oh, and the Shelter colors, in case you're wondering, are Sap, Postcard, Foothills, and Thistle.

I'm so happy it's a little bit cold right now. That sounded weird to me, too. Also, someone else is pretty happy:
Catdog, in motion. You don't see that very often, do you?

16 comments:

  1. Love the hats and the pink pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded the pattern to my Ravelry library. Love the slouchiness of it. Catdog is great. Poetry in motion. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just downloaded the pattern! Love these hats-who can say no to a giant pom pom? Hope your son has a wonderful time in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pair of beauties. Matching poms pom? of curse why not. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are FUN...know the children finding their own feet in the world feeling! But they come back sometimes...and for that we must be grateful. Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are wonderful hats!

    Maybe Catdog needs one ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are quite wonderful! I like the texture that you get from 'Shelter' - kind of organic and wild, but tame enough to make a big statement. LOVE your hot pink finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a happy family playing in the snow. And you all look fabulous in your hand knits. I'm currently making a sockhead and your hats look very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huzzah for Team Hats! For Team Catdog--wouldn't a big pink pompom look just wonderful on her collar? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes a perfectly slouchy hat! The pom pom is a spectacular finish. Your husband is a bit like mine, in that a splash of pink does not send him running to his man cave. I just finished knitting a hat that was supposed to be slouchy but it was a lie I tell you. Usually I find a hat pattern and think "Oh that's cute", then check it out on Ravelry and everyone who made it looks like they are wearing a child's hat. It's hard to find a good pattern. This one is aces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also from Italia I write you that your hats are so lovely especially funny pink pon pon!!Nice to read your blog!!If you want we are welcome in mine!!Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, the joy of dogs in snow (not city snow where chemical stuff is on the sidewalks and wise dog owners put boots on their pups.)

    I completely agree with you about those pompoms taking the hats to another level. Great slouchyness, and warm ears as a result.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fine hats indeed. Thanks for the inspiration and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're very fine hats. I made one a couple of weeks ago, using up part-balls of leftover yarn. I was a bit conservative with that one; grey, sage green and a cream pompom, but I can see more Conversationalist hats in my knitting future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You both look amazing with those awesome hats. Catdog looks pretty great too.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so admire your knitting abilities. The hats are adorable, just like the wearers!
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete