Friday, February 26, 2016

Dreams and sweaters

I got a message from the boy the other day. He sent a photo to my phone; luminous water, lit from somewhere, with stonework behind. It was a tiny photo, and I squinted at it. "That's pretty," I said. "What is it?" "It's the Trevi Fountain," he said. "I'm in Rome, btw." Morning sunlight dapples this empty room. Thinking of art; of Caravaggio and chiaroscuro and golden towns that dabble down hillsides to the sea. I find some beauty here at home--well, in some flowers from Trader Joe's. They're unscented, but I imagine one.

Finally getting a sleeve, Nenna starts to look like something a person might wear. This yarn, Berroco Vintage DK in "elderberry" is such a pretty antidote to the gray untidiness of late winter.

So is this--here's Antler, sporting the perfect contrast color, a more nuanced cousin to Patons Lemongrass, this is "Witch's Brew", I think from Periwinkle Sheep Yarn--where the heck is the label?--good grief. Well, I'll find it. Anyway, Antler has almost a whole sleeve now, too (man, I hope those arm/shoulders block out, urgh...) and it's a good thing this is near finished, because I have so many other things I want to make. I dreamed another dress last night, and imagined a small brown cardigan to go with it, with 3/4 sleeves and jacquard ribbon facings. A tunic-length vest with fair-isle patterning in heathered purples. Dark brown oil paintings with glowing dabs of turquoise and pink, and sunlight streaming through the window.

20 comments:

  1. What a dream. Fall and a net will appear... Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you ate last night I want some so I can dream of sewing and knitting too!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint the perfect picture. great knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. two sets of sleeves!! sleeves aren't my favorite part of knitting, and I don't think I've ever worked on two sets at the same time!
    the Trevi fountain right now is a dream - sparkling white travertine and marble baroque stonework just fresh from restoration works.
    I don't often dream of knitting, but I do wake up thinking of it, and of how to get a few rows in while the coffee percolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. travertine, baroque, coffee...lovely! :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful stuff and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty. Love the first picture with the sunlight across the floor. Your dreams sounds fun too. I wish I could dream up some real finished dresses for me to wear.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did your heart skip when the Boy casually says "oh, I'm in Rome, btw."?


    Beautiful work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did! Then I thought, Best. Message. Ever. :D

      Delete
  8. What a co-incident...i read your blog everything week. And my doughter was also at the Fontaine in Rome thursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm imagining a scene from a movie now, where they stand beside the fountain, facing away from one another, and never turn around. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. And there mothers crafting at home...:-)
      I love your blog very much!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful post, and I love that elderberry colour yarn.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. The antler pattern is very cool, with it's contrasting sleeves and bottom band. Yes on the flowers! I too must have something pretty on the table for those gray days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Did you knit the very charming gray check-patterned blanket on the bed? Can you say a little about it? If it were possible to step into your photos I would. As I cannot, I'm grateful for your lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made that blanket a few years ago--you can read the epic tale here: http://cozymadethings.blogspot.com/2012/04/gingham-blanket-finished.html

      :)

      Delete
  12. I love the elderberry colour. Just beautiful. How beautiful too to be at the Trevi Fountain and now, not in the overcrowded heat of summer. I am a little envious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a painter - with words, photos and everything you make. Isn't it wonderful to travel the world through our children's eyes. Very excitingly my daughter and I are planning a trip to Florence this year - she's stayed there but I've never been.

    ReplyDelete