Thursday, February 4, 2016

Puttering

 

It feels like this weird non-winter is really almost over. I know all the old farmers around here would laugh in my face for saying that, but I saw a fully-budded forsythia yesterday, and I'm taking that as a sign. I don't know if it's because of the mild winter, or because of the catdog [it's because of the catdog] but this season has been so lovely. I can't remember the last time I could say that. I have loved this winter, and nobody who knows me will believe it. The catdog and I are doing more training work, which is honestly the most fun thing in the world. She sits with her ears alert, tail scrubbing the floor, and studies me for information. She figures everything out immediately. She hops into position like a little bunny and earns extra points for style. When I go across the room and then call her, she barrels toward me like a runaway train, ears and lips flying, then skids to a stop just short of a crash. It's just wonderful.

Puttering and crafts: I have been making things, and as soon as there is some sunlight around here, I'll show you some of them. Lots of dresses, with ideas for more dresses. I feel a little bit like I've cracked a code on this whole making a dress thing. So much for any notions about minimalism or capsule wardrobes. I've got dress fever! In between cutting up my whole fabric stash to make clothes, the Nenna cardigan is growing (size 4 needles! Are small! I'ma try to get this done before summer!) and I found some Berroco Folio in a beautiful shade of blue/gray which means a lacy scarf is also on the needles. More covered lampshades--seriously, no lampshade is safe from me now. It takes an hour, some glue. Big, huge results. It looks completely professional, which is kinda not how anything I do ever looks, and is thus miraculous.

 

28 comments:

  1. I used to have a Forsythia in my yard. It always bloomed at least 2 months before everything else (such as my azalias). It would be a beautiful huge yellow ball of lovely little flowers for about a week. The rest of the year, it just looked like a bad hair day. LOL. I never understood how it could bloom and survive so long before it actually warmed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad hair day, haha! That's great. :)

      Delete
  2. So are you lovin' Winter or just this winter! Can't wait to see the dresses. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just this one so far, but maybe it'll stick? Hoping! :)

      Delete
  3. You and catdog seem like the partnership you both deserve, and it sounds so lovely. Animals are such very dear things and deserve us to love them, for they give us so much of themselves.

    Will love seeing your dresses I know - looking forward to it. Our weather is either freezing cold or warm enough to turn off the heating (which is bizarre and never happens). But we have a few months to go where anything could happen weather wise.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. She makes my life so much nicer. :)

      Delete
  4. Are you making the Dottie Angel frock? I haven't got past cutting out the pattern (after sweating over which size to make). Whatever dress it is I can't wait to see!
    CatDog is just so PINK in all the right places :)
    And your lampshade glow/kitchen shots are looking very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The famous Frock was one of my fails, but not the most recent fail. I love that pattern, but I just couldn't. Do. It. :)

      Delete
  5. I would love to learn to sew clothes ... for me it would come in handy since my kids all love costumes so much. Your house looks so cozy - love your bead board backsplash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did cut my teeth on kids' costumes, too--lots of room for creativity and DIYing there! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love your pictures and descriptions of catdog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! She's such a light in my days. xoxo

      Delete
  7. awww sounds like catdog is totally enjoying the extra time the training is bringing you together.
    your knitting looks beautiful!
    you're having a mild winter & we're having a not so summer, summer, guess there really is a climate change happening, eh?
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love working with her. What a good girl. :)

      Delete
  8. You say putter...I say potter! Love the shade...is it easy to do? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO easy! I trace one section of lampshade on paper (now I have a pattern), use pattern to cut out six pieces of fabric, glue fabric to lampshade, make and glue on bias edging. Bam, done! :)

      Delete
  9. I really do love your posts and look forward to reading them! Your catdog sounds an awful lot like my dogcat! He was so funny and I really thought he was a dog in a cats body! Loved him so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good dogcat, too! I once had a neighbor with such a dogcat that the cat's name was Dog. :D

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you! A "new" lampshade changes the whole room. :)

      Delete
  11. Love the projects on the go and can't wait to see the dressesxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catdog even covers her nose with her feet like a cat! Sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She even curls up in a little ball, just like a cat. LOL! :)

      Delete
  13. I just love the look of things round your place. I know what you mean about lampshade covering. Show me a remnant and I've got a faded and battered lampshade in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a difference, doesn't it? xoxo

      Delete
  14. There she is! I love that she loves you. You're obviously very good to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pink paws and pink ears - what a delight! Lucky ducky, Bex x

    ReplyDelete