Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Winter's Day

 

 

Well, hello! We are having a very unexpected Snow Event. "Unexpected" because when I went to bed last night, I didn't know it was coming, and thus was totally shocked to look outside and see nothing but white out the windows in every direction. What is this snow stuff? I don't understand! It doesn't snow here anymore! [RIP, Perfect Winter 2016] Snowing is so last year. I don't know about you guys, but I had rather come to believe that we were going to escape unscathed. Remember how last week I was changing my clothes out in the backyard, going all bare-armed and everything? Not today, my friends. Today, it is winter, which means I am holed up beside the fireplace with the catdog, knitting diligently on the Nenna and listening to the postman try to get his truck unstuck from the snowbank beside my neighbor's mailbox. [Take a picture? Go help him dig? Take a picture first, then go help? He got it unstuck before I could decide.]

I've been moving stuff around and rearranging the artwork, which I truly love to do--home as laboratory, or artist's canvas maybe--and was thrilled to accidentally discover that the Denyse Schmidt Drunk Love in a Log Cabin quilt I made back in 1999 or thereabouts looked plainly perfect on this bed. Stuff like that just makes me smile, I don't know what else to say. That quilt has spent the past seventeen years folded on a shelf and looking for its purpose, and when I chucked it on there for re-folding, I suddenly realized. Purpose, finally! Nice. It's never too late. Use what you have, and move it around now and then, to keep things interesting.

It felt good the other day to dust off the bead box and string some stuff together. All this--beads, wire, findings, clasp, gemstone of some kind or another--was already in the cupboard, just waiting to be some jewelry. Sitting there. What was I waiting for? What good is it to have a pretty string of coppery/purple pearls sitting in a box? Note to self: make stuff with the pretties. Speaking of which, I've also been having a little bit of a de-stash, inspired by Felicia at The Craft Sessions. Guys, I have too much stuff, and it's time to deal with it. I'm never going to make that many quilts. More on this later.

Of an evening, when dinner is over and the dishes are done, we brew a pot of coffee and Netflix-binge many episodes of Doc Martin, and I knit Antler in Madelinetosh Sock, main color "Charcoal". I'm past the fiddly bits, and can get up a head of steam on the plain part now. [Sarcasm on] What I really need now is definitely another gray pullover. Yup. The thirty-six--that's the actual number, I counted yesterday--neutral sweaters in my closet are not enough. [Sarcasm off] But O, the Tosh! Honestly. How can yarn be this beautiful?

12 comments:

  1. Love that snuggly little dormouse of a catdog. In case you get more snow, it might be worth adding to your netflix queue the British tv series Foyles War. it's not humorous but it's comforting, well aside from the murder and crime aspects :/ Also, I'm not sure if it's still available but Doc Martin reminds me of Hamish Macbeth, a tv series from the 90s, set in a very similar seaside village in Scotland. Keep warm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Madelinetosh! I made an Antler cardigan in the antler Colorado and I love it. The snow is pretty at least. It's finally warmer here after lots of snow. 53 today. The worst thing about warmer weather is that I can't stay in and knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this post... the necklace, so pretty! and looks great with the sweater you're wearing. The colors of that quilt are the perfect solution to a cold winter snow day (77 degrees here today!!! what happened to our monster El Nino?). And on cleaning out the crafty bits, I often ask myself, could I really use this all up in my lifetime? I might be (hopefully) sewing until I'm 90 and never see the bottom of my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure enjoyed this post today. It looks cozy and warm. And Catdog. I'd like to cuddle up there too! I've been doing a bit of decluttering here also. I took two big boxes to the local Goodwill store this just this morning. What a lovely quilt. I'm glad you were able to find a use for it...it looks perfect there.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A woman after my own heart! Getting into the closets and rotating lovely treasures out into the light of day. Why have them at all if all they do is sit in the dark? Love to the catdog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love the name of that quilt; it's really pretty! I, too, love pulling things out that I maybe bought because I loved them and since things have changed, finding just the right spot for them. And how does Catdog curl up like that??? So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dog works hard at what she does! Love antler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! My fiancee and I also watch Doc Martin while I knit. We actually watch the French version first, but I believe the English one is the original.
    Anyway, is nice to see someone else enjoys it while knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you are not using all of those knitting needles at once - interesting??! Good to have a sort out, I am brewing for one over the next few months. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I made an Antler and was silly (read: stupid) enough not to use Tosh. So my lovely finished Antler is nicely folded waiting for me to take it all apart and re-make it with some MadTosh, like I should have done in the first place! I love seeing CatDog. I love that you're so good to her. Oh and I still adore that darling gingham blanket -- that was a LOT of knitting, which is the only reason I haven't yet made one :) Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your images are lovely. Just the thing for me to look at as I sit at my desk looking out onto a rainy grey day.

    ReplyDelete