Thursday, March 24, 2016

Cleanse

 

Swiftly on the heels of knitting small yarn with small needles came this; a speedy little cardigan in worsted weight on biggish (US 8) needles. It was done in a big hurry. This was kind of a palate-cleanse, if you know what I mean. Something plain and fast and already sussed out by somebody else. Just let me knit something easy. It was calming. Just what I was looking for. The pattern is here.

This yarn (I'm pretty sure it's Cascade 220 in some kind of Hershey Bar colorway--the labels are, of course, long gone) had already been knit into most of two other sweaters, and then unraveled again when I realized I didn't like either of them, and I actually wasn't sure I liked the yarn anyway, but there it was in the stash when I decided I wanted a small brown cardigan (to go with a dress I haven't made yet) and it's chocolatey-goodness seems just right for right now. It goes with a lot of my stuff. Which must be why I bought it to begin with.

 

I'm on a big sweater-knitting jag right now [thank you all, by the way, for your lovely comments last week--the Shelter, colorway "Hayloft", is going to be a Levenwick by Gudrun Johnston, and I totally rushed to finish this little cardigan so I could get started on that. It should be done in a jiffy, too--nothing but sleeves and button bands still left to knit!]

So many sweaters (that word, ugh) stacking up like cordwood has meant I've had to donate a some things, including some handknits, to make room in the closet. Manu (knit in the wrong yarn and, let's face it, gum-colored) and Marilyn (really too big for me) went in the bag and will hopefully make somebody else happy. Something deep inside me would love to KonMari this whole place and get rid of stuff so I could live an ascetic life of tea leaves and minimalism, but it just isn't my way. All the other somethings inside me would hate it. I am a collector, of yarn and clothes and folk art and bones and other oddities, and I like me. But there is limited space in the closet, and if I want to keep making things, I have to keep making room.

It's not that hard to give these things up, I find. Making them is most of the fun, and then if they never get worn, it's okay to say goodbye. There are so many things I still want to make! Onward.

18 comments:

  1. You amaze me! Your needles must sound like a train racing by--clickety clickety clickety...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY like this brown sweater........so nice, simple, and looks lovely on you. Go fingers go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration with all your knits. The simplicity of this latest make is what makes it perfect, it really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a most perfect cardigan. The color, the pattern...all of it. I know what you mean about wanted to Konmari everything. But I like my "stuff" too as it's full of memories and love. I believe getting rid of everything could be another fad that will go away soon. Gorgeous photos.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I was right...it WAS Levenwick on the needles! I thought I recognized it, having knit that pattern three times: once for a daughter, once for a daughter-in-law, and, finally, once for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your makings...I see you must be either a continental knitter or flick knitter to go so fast. It's beautiful. I am on a sock phase right now and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard the term "flick knitting" before, so I googled it, and yes, that's how I do it, although with less elegance--my right forefinger kind of clamps down on the yarn for tension. My dear old great granny would shake her finger at me for it, for sure. But it works for me. :)

      Delete
  7. Your stitches are so perfect! No room for a single aberration with a wide expanse of straight knitting! The blue skirt and scarf - gorgeous - sky blue on my computer. Spring must be coming, out with the gray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, I have that pattern in my Ravelry libraray and loved seeing your version of it. I have some wonderful thick purple yarn that would look great in that pattern. I just donated a few things myself, a vest and a few sweaters that really didn't fit, hopefully someone will love them.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really are something, you know... I mean that in the very best way! Been reading your blog for a very long time and every time I do, I think, "Boy, so much to admire in this lady!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one useful cardy! I am on the verge of a winter yarn make cull before I decide what summer stuff to drag out and have a look at for a few months. I would hate to pack away a load of sweaters that I am not going to wear next winter when I could make room for more yarn - so I am with you there. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl how do you do that? I blink and a new cardigan appears. Great pattern, I like the cropped length and the chocolatey colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kristen! Any time you need to make room, just think of me...hehe! I'd have taken that gorgeous Manu off your hands, no problem. (Seriously, though, I'd have paid postage and what you wanted for it, or a donation to charity). Ho hum. Love the choccie cardy! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, the bag of goods to donate, with Manu tucked inside, is still around. Send me an email if you're still interested. MissusJATgmailDOTcom :)

      Delete
  13. Gosh, I love the simplicity of your sweater! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks a perfect little cardi! I can't imagine that it wouldn't go with everything.
    Love a brown cardi!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh I'm not sure that came out right in my last comment! what I meant was that it will go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. these cardigans are all so lovely, how clever you are. (visiting from Susan's place at Home Hum.)

    ReplyDelete