Friday, April 1, 2016

Levenwick

 

Hello there! Here I am again with another new cardigan. It looks like all I'm doing is knitting sweaters. I promise, there is more going on--I've put more rounds on the giant crocheted blanket, I covered another lampshade, we (well, he's doing it all by himself while I point out the drips) are painting the kitchen, and Catdog and I are doing another level of training classes, which is, after all things yarn-related, my new favorite thing to do. She works so hard on these good dog skills, works until she's tired, focused and serious and earnest--so earnest, it makes me ache. She is taking this being a good dog thing very seriously. I love her so.

But there have been a lot of new sweaters. This one is the lovely Levenwick by Gudrun Johnston, made exactly as written and in the exact yarn suggested--Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, "Hayloft". Oh, Shelter. This yarn is like nothing else. I would not exactly call it soft, nor would I necessarily say it's much fun to knit with--it's super-wooly, but somehow kind of like cotton. It drags on the needles, which made my hands tired. But the end result is as advertised; lofty and light, and rustic and wooly. I love it, but it'll be awhile before I use it again. Also, I'm not sure I'm wearing this garment correctly. Anybody out there done this one? I don't know where to put the buttons. I've worn it like this a couple times, and people tell me it looks good and they like it, so maybe it's right, I don't know. Asymmetry is not my usual. Also, it's really only halfway to warm enough outside to have that much bare arm showing. I was shivering while the doctor took these photos. Spring won't really arrive in my neighborhood for a few more weeks.
In other news, more sweater knitting. I know.

This one has my full attention right now.

41 comments:

  1. Kristin, I love Gudrun's designs, and have also enjoyed using some Brooklyn Tweed yarns (bought at Purl Soho before BT moved to the west coast.) Time and knitting does move on towards that elusive horizon.

    I think that your cardi looks grand! That Doctor of yours is a fine chronicler of your knitting. Fun also to hear of additional training of that little GoGo. One of my NYC friends has an adorable pup who is amazing with his various tricks...well beyond sit or shake hands.

    It's finally warm enough here for me to wear my year-long-in-the-knitting fair isle shawl collar jacket. Hooray! I've moved on to a few new knit projects, but nothing quite as challenging as that jacket.

    Looking forward to seeing more of what you've now got on your needles. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your jacket sounds divine! Off now to have a look...

      Delete
  2. Ooops, sorry. I did mean Kristen. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xoxo! Even my own family doesn't always make the distinction. You even spell the dog's name correctly. Thank you, dear.

      Delete
  3. more lovely knitting and I love your use of the royal 'we' for painting. I am also doing a little sit-stay dog training with rewards of sugar snap peas off the vine. Now as we're in autumn I wonder how this will work when the peas run out. Here's some more training to work on. Catdog looks like a bit of a reader:
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/201795350/fernie-the-reading-dog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <--impressed. Your dog will work for peas??? It's all hotdogs around here. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love how it looks...my friend enjoys using the "rougher" yarns, I have tried....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the finished product, but the process is more arduous than usual. Worth it, though!

      Delete
  5. I, too, am not normally drawn to asymmetrical, but that design is amazing, and makes you look positively skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I love it, maybe you just need to wear one of your gazillion other sweaters until the weather is warm enough for bare arms. I like the colour too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning, a great sweater and I love the way you have put on the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Third try's a charm, right? :D

      Delete
  8. I think it is wonderful, and the button placement or how you are wearing it suits just fine. Love the color, too.
    Well done!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee, my dear! As long as there is a minimum of fussing and tugging at it, I will be happy.

      Delete
  9. The sweater looks right to me. I think the color is beautiful. The design is quite pretty also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dang the Levenwick turned out pretty, and it fits you just right. Looks good with jeans and I bet a skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does go with a lot of my stuff--which is how I justified the HYOOGE yarn purchase! :D

      Delete
  11. I think the sweater looks great on you. Just perfect. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look on you -- very put together. You look like you've got it going on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so productive! I love this sweater and yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands are always making something. :)

      Delete
  14. I love the sweater and the buttons look perfect just how you're wearing it. The new sweater is looking very nice too. I smiled at your description of Catdog and the classes. How sweet that the whole idea she seems to have it to please YOU! Happy knitting!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy! She works so hard at it, and then she rests just as hard later. She could nap professionally. Ah, a dog's life. :)

      Delete
  15. lovely job and such a good fit! Shelter is wondrous. The catdog. Oh, I cannot even ... so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's sweeter than candy, it's true. :)

      Delete
  16. What a great look! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this cardigan - and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kristen,

    I have just been catching up on your recent posts! My, what have you been busy knitting! I love all the cardigans.

    This one really suits your colouring well! (See - there are other colours than grey for you!!!)

    Your fairisle jumper on the needles looks pretty, looking forward to seeing it when it is finished! :)

    Always enjoy reading your posts!
    Love from Belgium,
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new cardigan looks unique. I like details: the waved edges, the violet cute buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Snap! I'm up to the sleeves on this one (and dithering over buttons to distract myself from how much I hate purling!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you have such patience for knitting and it pays off with your beautiful sweaters:) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That cardigan is stunning on you. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete