Friday, May 13, 2016

What to do with a rainy day

 

It is raining today, and chilly. It occurs to me that it is not yet summer; that spring is a season too, and May is still spring, so I'm not sure why I keep expecting hot weather to show up. It might not, just yet. It might rain for awhile, and be cool and murky, and all the buds might just continue to hover on the verge, full to bursting, on pause, greens glowing like neon against the churned up sky. I am enjoying the seasons as they come, and this damp, gray weather is perfect for enjoying my finished Lala's Simple Shawl in Seidenstrasse fingering weight, color something like antique rose velvet. Blush. Soft. Blossom-y.

In still more seasonal knitting, in progress is a Boneyard Shawl in Malabrigo Rios, and they're calling this color "Niebla" which I think means "That color the sky turns right before a huge thunderstorm knocks out your power". Mixed dirty grays, shot through with streaks of ochre. Ominous, luminous, slightly sinister. Malabrigo is such a glorious feast.

I have some mending to do today. That's such quiet, simple work.

And I'm determined with this pattern. All eighty-jillion of you can't be wrong. I'm cutting into this piece of [thrifted] chambray something or other, and I think it's going to work out. I believe.

Tea, knitting, sewing, black and white inspiration. Possibly a nap. Continuous drizzle pattering against the windowpanes. Is that the perfect day, or what?

20 comments:

  1. There are beautiful sharing. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day. You had my attention with the tea and knitting!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rainy days can be very encouraging in their own way.

    Now, back to my own knitting....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shawl is so lovely. So's the Malabrigo (mmf).

    Your mugs are absolutely amazing, especially the one with the circles. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh that Lala! At least you have a chance to wear it for a bit before it gets too hot, whenever that is.
    I have dress pattern #3 sitting on my table still waiting for fabric. Chambray is going to be perfect for yours.
    Love the cozy catdog pic. She's a good napper that one. My fishdog is in the pool as I type this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS the most perfect day!
    Enjoy....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Pa Larkin in the H.E. Bates' 'The Darling Buds of May' would say....Perfick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be my perfect day too. You just gotta BELIEVE Kristen and go for it with the dress, it is thrifted, so just think of the learning, that is how I approach most sewing - but fundamentally I am a teacher! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the antique rose Lala shawl the colour is delightful and I am not a pink girl. BUT I also am a sucker for self striping yarns and I love the colours in the boneyard shawl. I must comment on how tidy you are it all looks so inviting and cosy. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok I didn't mean to be that enthusiastic ,but yes a perfect day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok I didn't mean to be that enthusiastic ,but yes a perfect day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous projects, and perfect for a chilly rainy day

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Lala's Simple shawl is so beautiful. I love reading biographies of musicians too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't go wrong on a day like that. Happy knitting and sewing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just started a Lala's Shawl and the Boneyard will be next. Love these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. everything is so perfect. and the gwen frostic postcard framed. amazing. xxx

    ReplyDelete