Tuesday, June 21, 2016

San Francisco casts a spell on me

 

This is the sort of thing that gets me all misty-eyed. Just look at that bridge, will you? With that pink sunset going all ombré in the distance? San Francisco, oh my goodness, I loved you so much.

At home now, my ordinary coffee tastes so, I don't know, bland and disappointing? We sat in the back corner of this cafe in North Beach and my cappuccino brimmed thick with foam. The tiny spoon, the mosaic tables, the reek of art and culture and rich conversation. I swooned.
We walked until our calves bulged with misery, and then we walked some more, climbing hill after hill. I simply could not stay indoors; there was magic around every corner. I think Doc would have enjoyed a rest now and then, but I walked us half to death, and he'll thank me for it when he's recovered. Me: "You can sit down when you're dead!" Him: "So, soon then?" He bribed me with coffee and tiramisu, which totally worked.
There is the famous fog, creeping in over the Bay Bridge at the Port of San Francisco. I really could have stood there and watched that happen for hours. I might have.

A penny bracelet, purchased in a pop-up market and hand-stamped--while I waited--with the word "Peace", which is what I want more than anything for this beautiful little world.

I could not have loved that city more. I traveled with a journal, inspired by the always wonderful loritimesfive, who I narrowly missed having a chance to meet and say hello; we were two passing ships coming and going to and from San Francisco on the same day--I have such a lot of lovely memories to write about and to draw and doodle, leaves and feathers and other natural treasures fallen and foraged from the ground to press and identify, and now I have to go figure out how to enjoy ordinary coffee, what with having seen the promised land and all.

 

13 comments:

  1. You make me want to pack a suitcase right now, and go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Fran is one of my favorite places in the world. Glad you had fun,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore San Francisco. I was there in 1979 then 2007. And both times the mist which was magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful city to visit! My husband and I spent a lot of time there when we first started dating. Every single time I go over the bridge it takes my breath away :) I'm glad you guys had a nice trip. The journal is brilliant. Something I always wished I'd started but never took the time to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you believe that even though I live on the West coast I've never been to San Francisco except passing through the airport? Your photos make me want to try it though. One thing I've learned through my travels is that I still love my home and there are many things to be found right here. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time in San Fran.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been, but it sounds pretty amazing! One day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow it looks as if you had a fabulous time. What a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been, but never say never...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, your San Francisco pictures are wonderful story tellers. The first one of the bridge at sunset has reminded me of Japanese woodblock prints.

    How much fun it must be to look through your travel journal, back at home, and remember the joy of your holiday.

    Sorry you missed Lori. She is such a lovely lady.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get kinda bummed out when I would love to have a coffee like they make at the shops or a London Fog but I don't have a cap machine or fancy syrups, BUT, I do have a store and I go and pick up my whipped cream instead of low calorie fluff, I sprinkle cinnamon and raw sugar on the top, or I use those flavoured creamers they have and sip away. Not quite the same I know, but it will have to do. lol
    I want to say that your writings about this trip was pure joy to read and the pics are lovely. Love the paper beads of your bracelet. :)
    Enjoy the day and hey, go get a coffee and sit in your favourite spot with your favourite pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spent two weeks there a long time ago, what a lovely post. You clearly loved it. I hope the poor Dr's legs are rested now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy memories for me too. Andy and I went there while we were travelling about 20 years ago. We read jack Kerouac books and felt young! Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete