Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Unfinished Objects

Oh my goodness, hi! Hello. I feel all breathless, in a rush, trying to do everything--knitting All The Things while attempting to be slovenly on my new porch, being all chill with my little prosecco, pretending it's summer and that the porch is actually finished and I'm not just sitting there amidst the construction chaos, a circular saw and sawhorses and jigs and cords and levels and hammers. Strategic photography becomes impossible, because there is stuff everywhere and I can't even crop it out, but sitting there in my new comfy wicker chairs with a chilling glass of something and a strangely improbable pile of alpaca on my lap is increasingly happening. I dream it will be finished one day. Maybe soon. Meanwhile, I lounge.

Also, I fail to finish things because of my continuous starting of other things.

I had both of these on my lap the other day, at the same time, as though I had enough hands to work on them both at once. I mean, that's the dream, right? Two-fisted knitting. The Blue Thing is on the last border, and the Olive Green Thing has already commenced. I am undeterred by huge piles of unfinished items.

This thing, a cute little shawl that has some really simple name like "Simple Shawl" that I can't remember right now, is kind of on hold because the last ball of yarn (Berroco Folio) turned out to be completely shredded inside--it looks like it was somehow stabbed by a two-pronged sharp object, see the two cut areas up there?--and has been coming apart in handfuls. Which makes me mad and which makes me set it temporarily aside in favor of something slightly less exasperating. The pattern, whatever it's called, is great and easy and free and I love it, but the collapsing yarn somewhat tempers the joy of the experience. Anyhoo.

This. Is. Almost. Done. I knit a sleeve and a half in the car on the way to Cleveland to see my beloved Monkees [Monkees! I am forever young with you. Keep playing, boys, and I'll keep showing up. My love is strong!] and if I weren't so inclined to start ten new things, this would be finished by now, and I'd have something to show you. Must. Somehow. Focus!

 

10 comments:

  1. Monkees? How can you have the Monkees without Davy Jones? Your porch looks lovely. I love your geranium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We make the best of it, is how, I suppose. There were many bittersweet tears when he came up in the set list. I <3 him. xoxo

      Delete
  2. So many things on the go, it sounds chaotic just like me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, the problem of every crocheter or knitter. Too much creativity and inspiration out there. We hear ya.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo happy that you are getting a porch! There's nothing better for knitting and sipping prosecco! (have you tried Lunetta? It's my favorite) The dark sky in the distance looks like rain - please send some my way.
    You make me feel the tiniest bit better about having so many unfinished projects! I know that you are capable of finishing them ALL, so I try to tell myself that I too, can do it! Waiting to begin a Carol Sunday vest - such a pretty and practical knit.
    The shredded yarn makes me slightly crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could it be moths slowly chewing through your ball? Sadly this has happened to me and there is not much worse than moths in wool stashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's moth damage--the cuts are very sharp/distinct and go through many layers. Grr. Happily, though, there are other things to knit on while I calm down about it! :D

      Delete
  6. I need to find the time to sit, and of course focusing that would help too!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah unfinished projects.... And you might have more than I do which makes me feel a bit better about mine. But then I might have more unstarted projects....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I'm so happy to hear you went to see the Monkees after it was your mention of their new song that lead me to discover their first show was in my town...basically across the street from my house! I'm loving their new album and love playing it loud in my car as I'm driving to and fro. Hey, hey!

    ReplyDelete