Monday, July 25, 2016

The Wooliest

It's so humid right now that everything is completely stuck to everything else, and we are sprawled around on the furniture sweating heartily and trying not to touch anything, so naturally I am knitting an enormous, thick, wooly, cabled pullover. I'm not sure what it is about me, but this is what I do. This is the least seasonally appropriate thing I could possibly be making right now. I did try to bring things around to summer by attempting to use a zucchini as a nostepinne because the vandals farmers down the street have given us a gigantic armload of zucchini and I am looking for uses. I'm sorry to get your hopes up, but sadly a zucchini cannot be used as a nostepinne. (I can't share the photos of the failed attempt--suffice to say it was pretty funny, and that a zucchini, no matter how you hold it, just looks naughty.) What else to do with eight zucchini? Why can't cantaloupes grow with that much enthusiasm? I could eat cantaloupe until I turn into one and roll away.
This yarn! Oh my goodness. This is Cascade Ecological Wool, more of my share of the spoils from the Great 70% Off Sale of 2012. I know you're wondering how there can still be anything left from that magical day, but if you had seen the four 50-gallon bags I carried out of that place...I'm rethinking the stash now, too, more about this later...anyway, just look at that gorgeous, lightly plied, handspun-looking stuff! Oh, my heart. It is fluffy and plump and soft, and somehow light and thick at the same time, and it is so hot right now, I don't even...why? Why did I suddenly think I want to make some kind of weatherproof fisherman's sweater out of the woolliest yarn I can find? Yes, that's what I want to have draped all over my lap as I boil in my own sweat! I told you I liked the heat. There's always room to be a little bit warmer.
Exhibit, Catdog in summer: is this dog having the best life ever, or what? We sit on the porch together and she enjoys a small snack of ice cubes, until the sun gets to be too much, even for her--and this is the dog who will press her face against the fireplace until I worry about brain damage--then she comes inside, gets up there on the couch, stirs all the pillows around until she's happy she's found the fluffiest one, and then flops down with a snort. I point the fan at her and, after a quick sniff of her Frito-scented feet, tiptoe away, leaving her to her peaceful dreams. Back to the knitting.

18 comments:

  1. I love this post! (And your whole blog!) I do the same thing...knitting woolie things in the heat of summer. But, it's so when (if) cool weather rolls around, I'll be ready! Catdog is adorable. I just want to snuggle with her, too. Nothing like a cat or a dog to find life's cozy. I'm actually sitting next to an open, non-A/C blasting window right now. But if the sun comes thru we'll be fried. Or steamed. Cheers from San Diego 😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! (And your whole blog!) I do the same thing...knitting woolie things in the heat of summer. But, it's so when (if) cool weather rolls around, I'll be ready! Catdog is adorable. I just want to snuggle with her, too. Nothing like a cat or a dog to find life's cozy. I'm actually sitting next to an open, non-A/C blasting window right now. But if the sun comes thru we'll be fried. Or steamed. Cheers from San Diego 😎

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the zucchini front, or as we call them in Blighty, courgettes. They do look naughty! Catdog is adorable and I love the frito reference. I think you once mentioned that her feet smelt of popcorn, and I had never quite pinned down the aroma of my dogs feet until that point, but yes, they smell of popcorn! Love vicariously, all your knitted goodies, as alas, I've mastered crochet, but not knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adore Catdog. Totally understand the spoiling of her.Love your knitting projects and enjoy reading your blog. Horrible here in N.Z. cold, wet, and dark. Great knitting weather:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zucchini cookies! Zucchini bread! The zucchini cookies are really good, but are more harvest, fall cookies full of pumpkin pie/apple pie spices...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and, yes, love Catdog! She is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice yarn, your stash must be a bottomless pit. 108 degrees here tomorrow - ugh- CatDog would love it. Cantaloupe over zucchini any day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks interesting with the ribbing going up the ?sides? Small things are the only thing I can knit in the heat and humidity. Catdog has the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am laughing out loud about the Frito comment! I have always said that dog feet smell like Fritos but never heard anyone say it! I so enjoy your creativity but your Catdog comedy snippets are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a funny post! This was a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CatDog is the happiest dog in blog land! Lucky ducky. I love your posts about her and her antics. Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it very hard to knit when it's so hot so I just put it aside for a short vacation. CatDog is the best, I love seeing photos of her. Enjoy your summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw a recipe the other day for a very interesting zucchini bread that had cranberries in it. I never thought of pairing the two for some reason. And I always want to crochet blankets in the summer for some reason. I guess my brain knows they will be done by the time it is getting cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wool needs to be knitted NOW so as to be ready when the white stuff flies! To that effect, I actually had to go and order needles with a 40" cable to get that wool off of my lap!!!! Now it drapes down and I can manage without sweating a bucket.
    Catdog was missed! She is a happy creature!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That wool looks so very soft and so very warm. I don't know how you are knitting it in that heat. Catdog looks quite comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All Recipes: Zucchini Herb Casserole is yummy and will use up 3 large zucchini. I substitute Pepper/Monterey Jack cheese. It's an easy one to embellish as well (more spices, more rice, add celery etc.). Love your CatDog pictures! He does have it made in the shade, as all animals should!

    ReplyDelete
  17. bless your catdog lovin' heart!

    ReplyDelete