Sunday, August 21, 2016

Mercy

Finally it has cooled off and the rain is coming down. Able now to imagine a world where I am not stuck to something, or slumped on the floor in front of the fan in a half-waking, dreamlike, fugue state, I sat up and found myself, scraped together some industry, and swept the rugs. I located my dusty stove and made a strange stew out of wrinkly vegetable drawer remainders. And of course I started about fifty-seven new projects, because I can operate my brain again now. Summer is delicious. I am lugubrious in the heat, almost a non-Newtonian fluid, practically wearing nothing but a sarong and flip-flops. Thoughts drift in and out, an icy drink melts slowly into a puddle, the wildflowers in my abandoned garden vibrate with bees. I slide my eyeballs painstakingly to one side, toward the tiny roar of a hummingbird, who comes up to the porch to investigate me, because I have lain so still, unblinking and dissolving, for so long that he thinks I may be some sort of plant material. I relish all this, and I dream tearfully of it during the long, desperate months of winter, when we cannot even get out the front door, but I have to say that I am fully restored now, all cells are sweat-purged of toxins or whatever, all bones are liquified to a summery-softness. Hummingbirds have been watched. I am done. Healed. Ready to move around again, and to leave a magazine on the kitchen table without having to later scrub away the layer of paper it leaves behind. This cool, fresh, clean air is making me cry with the mercy of it. Rain, rain, rain. Wash me.

 

32 comments:

  1. I am singing the very same tune today. I woke to temps warmer than it was in Rio for the men's marathon, but the rain has mercifully moved in and it has cooled down to a more comfortable place.

    I am also making an odd stew of veg, but not from the bin, from the over-blown garden.

    Praise the lovely rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise, indeed. I'm hopeful of a gloomy day for a change... :)

      Delete
  2. Dang girl - brilliant paragraph. Write a book already, you're killing me with this prose.
    I love how you have a knitting project on either side of the kitchen table. That's right. Own that table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. Although I love summer, I too am looking forward to a week of sewing without breaking a sweat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're supposed to have cooler weather tomorrow. Today it's wildfires everywhere because of the heat and wind. Glad it's cooler for you now. I'm ready too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, wildfires are so scary. Be safe. xoxo

      Delete
  5. You have such a talent for writing, you had me wanting and enjoying the rain along with you. We have had such a short Summer this side of the pond I could do with it lasting a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending some warmth your way, my dear. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Long time followers, first time poster... love your turn of phrase. Down here in Adelaide, South Australia, I could write the same plea but for the winter reason. So wish to be able to wear less than three layers, not having aching from the cold limbs, want to be outside without being blown/rained/hailed upon... Can't wait to wear just a sarong and thongs! And by the end of February when we have endured days on end of 40+ celsius temperatures I'll be yearning for autumn. Funny old world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! You're just coming out of the real weather, and we are just heading in. :)

      Delete
  7. Bring on the cooler weather! I think we are all ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kristen, I loved reading this post and seeing those accompanying pictures. Thank you for giving a preview of a slight cooling of the air that might soon be arriving here. I'm so looking forward to reacquainting myself with a source of energy. The past couple of weeks have created quite a pause.

    Please give little GoGo a scratch or two behind her lovely ears. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd probably expire, where I live. Our heat index didn't get below 110 all last week, real temps in the low 100s with 50 to 60% humidity. Now THAT will make you puddle on the floor. I remember when I lived in New England for 3 years, in the summer (upper 80's was a heat wave), how people would just practically stop moving when the temps hit 85. LOL at my house in July, we hit 85 at around 6 a.m. but yes, its been a hot one, and we're all ready for Fall, and pumpkins and red leaves. Catdog is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAH, that sounds rough. I am a girl from the North, and anything above 85 sets me a-whining. :)

      Delete
  10. Never commented on your blog before. Gosh, you write so well . Really enjoyed reading. I agree with the other lady....you could write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen, I spent most of last Saturday reading your whole blog...what can I say? I love your words, your pictures and your creative energy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to read. I felt your every word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those summer rains are the best. Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great writing and a nice melodramatic turn of phrase. i was starting to think you were in Faulkner territory :) I remember so well the relief of those east coast summer rains. Catharsis. Sweetest sweet Catdog photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer has felt Faulknerian, for sure! Gothic and sweaty. :D

      Delete
  15. Kristen, I'm watching Outlander and thinking of knitting myself a wee heathery capelet for the winter. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  16. love how you wrote this - it's like a poem. It cooled off around here, too, and I realized I can be happy and have energy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a difference a little fresh air makes, right? :)

      Delete
  17. How fascinating to hear about your summer. Here in North Wales we are pleased with eighteen degrees C, get excited at about 22 and begin to melt when it goes above 24. I suspect you would think we are wimps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel quite a wimp myself--I am melting at 88 degrees F, chilled to the bone at 70 degrees F? Not much window for comfort there... :)

      Delete