Friday, September 16, 2016

All The Colors

 

 

 

 

There is so much color on my worktable right now. There are lots of gray things, and other neutral things, too, to be sure, but they aren't as interesting to me at the moment. I'm taking a class in appliqué at my local quilt shop--this is big for me, because I am very proudly self-taught in almost all the needle-ish arts, but there are eighty jillion different appliqué methods, and it is so confusing to me, so I signed up. Man, it's fun! As you know, I really love handwork--the workbasket beside the comfy chair, stocked with all the small, lovely tools needed, and a long-term project in there, on the go all the time, something to keep a lady entertained until who knows when. I honestly love that, so much. This class is teaching the technique where you iron the freezer paper templates to the wrong side of the fabric, trim to 1/8" seam allowance (ohmygoodness, that's so small) and then press the extremely small seam allowance using liquid starch and a teensy specialty iron. Well, I love tools. I could not wait to go pick out a lovely teeny iron with a turned wood handle, and Doc helped me craft an equally teeny tabletop ironing board with a chunk of wood, ironing board cover fabric (that's what it's called, I asked...) and a piece of gingham. No hopping up every three seconds to iron something, and no burning my fingertips with the huge standard iron. Oh, I love my Doc. My little liquid starch pot came home with me from Amsterdam, where I bought it directly from the potter himself, who made it to match a paint pot used by Rembrandt. Stuff like that. Stuff like that will make me go bonkers for a project. Also, the fabrics! Some Denyse Schmidt, some Anna Maria Horner, some thrifted. Scraps. Yes, this is keeping me very entertained. And of course I am also knitting, a wild pair of striped socks using yarns gifted to me by my dear Hilde, because I have to have something to do after dark, and because colorful stripes are endlessly interesting. I am having so much fun. And tomorrow is the Fiber Fair! I feel like it's Christmas Eve.

18 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the tools! I love good quality tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaah applique, my fave handwork right now. Looks like you'll have a lovely piece when you are done, excited to see your progress. Those socks are perfect,,always like a sock that make a statement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours in those socks make my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love every single bit of this. That teeny ironing board is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks - the colors! And look at those perfectly done flower petals. My goodness such exacting work! I'm familiar with the technique except for liquid starch. Do you purchase it or make it with powder or ???.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The starch solution is a 1:1 ratio of liquid Niagara and water, and it is painted on the raw edges of all the pieces just before ironing. It seems to help with getting a sharp fold. It does add to the fussiness of the project, but I'm kind of into that right now. I'm also hand scouring and carding an entire fleece, getting ready to spin it, so it looks like the Big Projects are never ending! :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh fun! And your socks look a lot like the ones that I'm knitting, stripes and all!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous socks! Could we please see a photo of the teeny tiny iron?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a teeny iron and I made a little pouch for it to keep it all safe and sound! I can feel the excitement. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those socks lifted my spirits, they are a delight. The vibrant colours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like you could be my long lost sister or something! haha! I can relate to almost every single thing you write about. Love this space :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stripy socks are bringers of joy, while being knitted or being worn.

    I am so interested to see how your embroidery and quilting projects evolves. The colors of the fabrics make an excellent mix.

    Now I am looking forward to some photographs from the Fair. Hoping the weather is as wonderful there as it is here this Saturday morning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these colours are so pretty! Nice socks ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. FAB-you-lus socks! Moments before I opened your latest post, I opened a message from my sister with this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QuYiY1EJg
    You see, my DH of 30 years is color blind so has never experienced colors the way we do. To move from that video directly to your socks felt like a message from the universe. I'm going to knit him some knock-your-socks-off-colorful-footwear and then I'm going to put those glasses on his face and he is going to be high on color just like us! I repeat---Message from the Universe in a pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow I love the socks. The colors are beautiful. And The applique, looks great. I have never had much luck with needle turn .

    ReplyDelete