Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Big Flower

 

I doubt anyone will ever accuse me of being a quilter, and my appliqué stitches are kind of huge, but making this was really pretty fun. This is Big Flower, another design from Denyse Schmidt, found in this book. So many things to make in there, hoo. I can't wait to try them all! Now that I know how to do appliqué, I kind of feel like there is no limit. Circles, I am coming for you.

I spent two weeks working on it, and about twelve days of that time was spent on the hand quilting, which I attempted to do in the proper way with a little needle and quilting thread, and, you guys, that takes a long time. It takes me a long time, anyway. I don't know how anybody ever finishes a whole quilt that way, I really don't. Respect. Anyway, somebody asked to see the teeny iron:

This kind of thing is apparently intended for something to do with melting plastic pieces onto model airplanes, and the guy at the store was kind of bemused when I told him what I was going to do with it instead, but it worked really well and I am actually madly in love with it. I love teeny things that work.

In other news, winter is coming, and Catdog has begun to press her face against the heater again, and make cozy nests out of all the couch pillows. I come home to find just her nose sticking out from underneath it all. More than a little inspired by this, another dog sweater has appeared on my needles.

 

It occurred to me for a second that possibly this beautiful hand-dyed worsted wool might be too pretty for a dog sweater, but then, I remembered. Catdog. Worth it.

 

 

14 comments:

  1. Dear Kristen, your quilting is looking very, very good. Even if hand-quilting must take such a long time to complete, it really does "complete" the project beautifully. Do carry on!

    Sweet Cat Dog is going to love that cosy sweater. The link you've shared to the site showing all sorts of helpful measurements and advice re dog sweaters is also a gem. I don't have a dog myself, but have knitting friends who do have dogs, and will suggest they also have a look-in here if they are considering something for their pets.

    Portrait of Go Go in repose is a beauty. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just put the time in and get a wonderful thing - that is how it works. It is a fabulous cushion. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pillow! Quilting is something I have always wanted to try but I just can't bring myself to fill my house with fabric as well as all my other craft stuff! I want to make a rag quilt tho', so bad! Great job on your pillow. Now as for knitting a lovely sweater for Catdog, I'm all for it and yes, worth every stitch! My guys are in need of some new ones too, have you shared the pattern you use before? I would love to knit a different style :) Thanks for sharing, I love your blog!
    Victoria, BC
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow is absolutely gorgeous! I have nothing but admiration for you. I don't have enough patience for that and you did an amazingly beautiful job. And as for Catdogs sweater, of course she's worth it. That is a gorgeous yarn and she is a gorgeous dog. Just look at that sweet little face.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cushion is a real delight, stunning. Your sweet cat dog is such a cutie and is so worth knitting a sweater for, great yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing the iron...it really is teeny and perfect for getting into teeny corners. And well done you and teeny iron for the beautiful appliqué. And aaah so sweet Catdog, curled up like a little dormouse, I look forward to more nesting Catdog photos through fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pillow. Great background and wonderful lines for quilting. Also loving that last pic of catdog. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pillow! Sometimes the extra detail has more impact in something smaller.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a beautiful job on that pillow. She should have used it for the cover of her book. If it wasn't for your pillow I wouldn't have given her book a second glance. Your applique looks great from here and now I want to make one! Also, thanks for reminding me that my little miniature dachshund needs a sweater badly! A whole wardrobe of them and a cover for her bed and a blankie. I had better get busy. Thank goodness the Rottweiller is hot blooded or I would really be in trouble! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwwwwwww a dog sweater for Catdog! Too gorgrous for words! Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, applique can be a bit tedious, but the results are beautiful. Like your pillow.
    Catdog has quite a few fans/followers. She is going to need her own blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh. Loved the Franklin link. Lucky Catdog...hand dyed yarn! Great pillow, very nice colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love catdog and I especially love that you love Catdog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful yarn and a beautiful pillow! :)

    ReplyDelete