Monday, October 31, 2016

Buttercup

Fleece!  This is not even the whole thing:  
Before the wash:
And after:
 
These golden, blustery days.  I love that moody gray sky so much.  It rained like a banshee the other day, so I went to my little spinning corner and lit a candle and spent a few hours spinning and plying some of this fleece, listening to the weather bang around outside.  It was bliss.  Listen, how I will ever spin all of this beautiful roving I don't know--there is so much of it!  One sheep, a single haircut.  I dumped it out of its basket and it completely covered the bed.  The luxury of all that, oh my goodness.  It was a gift to me from my dear friend Debbie, who raised a small herd of orphan sheep rescued from the animal shelter with the kind of love and care and attention you would wish for all the children of the world, so the wool is of Unknown Origin, but I'll tell you what, it is so soft and clean and is a pure plain joy to work with.  This is the fleece of a sheep named Buttercup.  I can't even.  Dear Buttercup, your hair is magnificent.  As a spinner, I am a complete novice [see results, above] but I am enthusiastic, and am always so thrilled when a few hours spent at the wheel, with it's comforting metronome of thumping along and a beautiful sheepy pile of wool in a basket beside me results in more yarn for my stash.  Seriously, what is not to love about that?  The yarn I make [I can make yarn!] always seems to be overspun and underplyed, and it always looks like garden twine before it's washed, but a little bath in the sink fluffs it up into a magical yarn cloud that weighs practically nothing.  I don't even know what to make out of something as wonderful as this.  

16 comments:

  1. That must be bliss indeed!
    It's on my bucket list.
    I think Buttercup would be honored to know her wool is so loved and in such good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to know the name of the sheep whose wool you are enjoying!! I know nothing (NOTHING!) about spinning, and can only *just barely* do the knit stitch, but mercy, I can imagine the pure pleasure this would be! It makes me teary to think about it.
    I am so excited to see how you dye this, and what it becomes.
    Enjoy ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried spinning, and tried and tried, but only produced "art yarn" :( I do love the fleece! I will knit my friends handspun, but simply can't spin myself. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a Merino type fibre, Bluefaced Lester is another lovely fibre. I just love knitting or sketching or doing some sort of crafting in the house when it's miserable outside. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.
    I think you did a great job spinning and plying that fleece! It looks great!!! R U going to leave it natural or dye it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have such talents. No matter what you say here, it looks pretty impressive and even to me. But what kind of sheep has such pure white wool? I wonder if it has been bleached first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful, a truly great way to spend a rainy afternoon. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your yarn. It's perfect. And Buttercup. That is wonderful. I have tried to spin and my yarn looks nothing like yours. Wonderful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad has bought my girl some sheep, I can't say outloud but in my head I am spinning hebridian sheep wool even though I don't have a wheel or any technical ability in that field whatsoever - Just spinning away in my head. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am convinced I would LOVE spinning. The yearn even looks soft and cloud like. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you...I follow you...I will wait at least a month before I check your blog ...it is always worth the wait. You are so prolific ... Im jealous...in my mind all you do is knit....I don't have a Blog. I should create one ... for now, you are my blog. thank you...KMurphy - Watertown, MA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely yarn...:) Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a scene you spin in this post! Absolutely comforting, snuggly and peaceful. You spinning looks wonderful and that yarn makes me jealous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow it looks so amazing. My aunt used to own alpacas and spin then dye her yarn from whatever berries, leaves and bark etc that she found around the farm. I am truly envious of that spinning wheel though. x Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see a big loose billowy cowl... Free yarn, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buttercup homespun yarn, can't think of anything nicer! Di (Nurybah, Aus)

    ReplyDelete