Thursday, October 6, 2016

Seashell Pink

 

It feels so great to finish something, and to finally find something for this yarn to be. This pullover languished in my workbasket for so long, and it languished before that in the form of a wrap I decided I didn't really want, and it languished before that as a complicated garment that I was never, ever going to wear, and before that as an unnecessarily fussy project that I was never going to finish. This pink yarn (Berroco Vintage DK #2110) is the best color in the world, though, soft and seashelly. It was in my stash a long time, too, before I even set off on the lengthy quest to find just the right project for it. There was a pullover already in my closet that I wear so often that I'm afraid people will start thinking I don't have any other clothes. It just fits so perfectly, and it works with every single other thing in my wardrobe. I live in fear that some kind of laundry disaster or spaghetti catastrophe will befall it. So, armed with the perfect pink yarn and a measuring tape, I set out to replicate it. I got bogged down for awhile by other projects (there are so many things to make! I can't stop starting them! You all know how it is.) but when the cool breath of air that is the beginning of Fall arrived on my doorstep, I got motivated again.

We went on a long road trip last week, and I had only the sleeves and collar to finish. It rained, of course, because it always rains on a road trip, and I worked happily on it, tucked up warm in the passenger seat with the Beatles playing on a long loop (have you seen the new documentary about the Beatles? Oh mah gah. See it.) and Catdog curled up like the half-mouse she probably is on a quilt in the back seat. Hot coffee in the cup holder, steaming up the windshield. There is nothing whatsoever to mind about a long trip, because coffee, the Beatles, cuddled up with Catdog and knitting is exactly what I'd have been doing at home, too. And just like that, it was finished.

The top-down make it up as you go method is honestly my favorite way to do things. There are many beautiful patterns out there, and I have an enormous queue at Ravelry to reflect my enthusiasm for them, but I really do get the best results by just doing it this way:

Measure, either myself or a garment from my closet that fits the way I want the new garment to fit. Knit a swatch, do a little bit of elementary school math, and then just knit it. Measure and keep measuring as I go. Try it on when possible. Be ready to unravel when necessary and try again. That, my friends, is all there is to it.
 

 

31 comments:

  1. Wow! I love that pattern and the colorway is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The No-Pattern Pattern is really my favorite. :)

      Delete
  2. Kristen I'm in awe! Your sweaters always fit so perfectly! Glad your yarn finally found it's forever shape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really not much to it, I don't think. Lotsa measuring, and plowing forth in the face of doubt... xoxo

      Delete
  3. You make it sound so easy, you definitely have a talent for measurements. It fits perfectly and is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is lovely...yet, there is something much more important in your post to discuss. Your dog, along with being part cat, is now also part mouse?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simplicity is often the best thing. I love the cut/knit of the shoulders - so elegant. It would have grubby cuffs in one morning in my life! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You knit at the speed of lightening, even if it has been many things before this yarn has found its perfect home in this sweater.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one lovely, feminine pullover. It looks grand on you!

    I also enjoyed your tale of the road trip in the rain with all those comforts on board. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate that you had to go to some much wok to figure it out - but you totally nailed what this yarn was meant to be! The sweater is beautiful and the fit is PERFECT (and you have lovely shoulders)
    Happy knitting all the things ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is stunning! I admire you for being able to do that. I'm not very brave and always follow patterns. Yay for you!!!!!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I figure the worst that can happen is I have to start over, right? :)

      Delete
  10. The new sweater looks so great on you! This color suits you well :) I am always stunned by your beautiful neat projects!
    Keep on creating Kristen :) Have a lovely weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything about the sweater and the model is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I think you found your new favorite sweater. Bravo. I don't get how you do it but keep on doing it.
    I enjoy watching everything you knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon it'll snow, and then this little pullover will not cut the mustard, but until then, it's perfecto! :)

      Delete
  13. Your jumper is perfect, colour and style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only a knitting genius could figure this out. I am so inspired by all your beautiful work--knitted and non-knitted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It fits so well and looks very pretty ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I will ever be confident enough as a knitter to just knit and get what I want. It would be nice to do though as most sweaters seem to be either too large or too small.

    ReplyDelete