Monday, November 7, 2016

Bonus

 
I live in a place where you can hear the leaves falling.  They are at the beginning of the falling now--a few weeks late--and one leaf, as it lets go, taps and shushes down through the still-yellow tree, and lands on the ground with a little rustle.  Must be I have spent a lot of my life in noise up until now because I have never noticed this before, that it is possible to hear a leaf fall out of a tree.  So today, an incredible golden day, after startling a few times and wondering what the hell that sound was, I saw it happen and figured it out.  I went back there and lay on the ground underneath our big maple tree and gaped up through it at the blue sky, and the all-new clattering of leaves as they fall down.  I lay there until a woodpecker decided I was no big deal and went about his work in the tree.  Leaves fell around me, on me.  Nobody was mowing the grass, or plowing a field, or shouting or whacking weeds or playing soccer or doing any of the things people are generally noisily doing in my neighborhood.  We are pretty much tucked in, and yet, this day.  This day was a bonus, warm and perfect, and the sky!  There are not enough words for blue.  Catdog and I sat in the sunshine, and she sniffed at the air, and watched a crow fly over our heads, his cawing all out of place in the hot sunshine.  We listened to the leaves falling, a revelation.  I knit some plain stockinette in the round, in dusky lilac yarn and watched as the shadows came closer, so early.  They cast a chill across my bare feet long before either of us was ready to call it a day.  

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful Kristen. Love your pictures and your description of relishing a special moment in time. So good for the soul.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful narrative. Autumn continues the judgment. This season we are as sad as the tree leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning - thank you for the magnificent photographic and descriptive audio images of leaves falling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely description of your day... I could feel and breathe in that air :) I wish to have such quiet days too, but our Indian city is too noisy and one cannot escape from it.
    Wishing you to have more of such blessed golden days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is poetry Kirsten and I love the way you talk about colour. I too have a Norway maple glowing gold outside my bedroom window and yes, I love to watch and listen to its leaves falling too. My soundtrack is wood pigeons burbling and the distant sound from about two miles away (as the crow flies) of the M25, the London orbital motorway. Thinking of you and all my US friends today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Catdog sitting in the autumn sun! Just perfect. :) Made me smile x Bex x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty and apt description. I've been watching leaves fall from our last leafy tree. It's almost bare too and now nothing stops the view from my windows. I love the smell of autumn leaves.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right Kirsten. I was near the trees the other week and thought "what's that sound" then realised the little click I could here was the leaves detaching from the trees and whooshing down through the trees to the floor. I can't say that I had noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes... The Norway Maple. We have one of like size here in NH. In 1988 when we bought this house the tree's main lead was dead and there was considerable rot in the trunk. We had the remaining crown cabled (not visible) and a drain put in to its hollow core(yes, a drain)to keep the mighty thing healthy as long as possible. Then we planted an understudy nearby -- a Sugar Maple, which is slower growing but not as generous with multitudes of seeds. Fast forward a decade (because time does go fast), to the days when our boys were 6 and 8 years old. That same tree became THE PERFECT TREE to support the Swiss-Family-Robinson-style treehouse of our dreams. With a rough cedar platform, moosewood railing and beautifully twined rope lashing there wasn't a straight line anywhere. One particular 6th birthday (Oct 2, 2006) our little family of 4 had an absolutely idyllic celebration with a yule-log style cake and water-colored paper lanterns softly glowing in the embrace of golden branches. That one evening more than justified all the tender loving care we bestowed on the enormous tree. Even now it has long outlived all expectations and retains its leaves when its neighboring sugar maples have synchronized the release of their leaves. Thank you for your beautiful post. It is always a delight to savor your posts. I highly recommend you perch up there in your tree some adventurous day-- and share your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds idyllic. The temperatures are starting to drop a little here, although still nice to walk not so good for sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I am sitting with you now...I feel the cool air flowing between my toes. I'm working on my shawl, Landmark, by Jane Cochran. I bought it on Ravelry. I'm using Malabrigo, color: Lettuce DK...I live in MA, Watertown. We are having beautiful weather...golden leaves surround me. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how to do it. Thank you again for your blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kristen... I went down a rabbit hole and surfaced here. The next three hours just flew by! I love your writing, I love your knitting, I love your... well, I just have to keep reading and find out. 😀 Thank you for all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS I'm from Burlington, Ontario, Canada and it's rather mild here, not like northern Ontario where I'm sure there must be a bit of the white stuff. �� I too have many WIP, the latest a snuggle sack and hat for my new grand baby due Dec 1st but like the other two, came early last weekend... another girl. So upon further review of the sack, I ripped it out to start again on bigger needles so it would fit her a bit longer. While unravelling, I perused the Internet and That's how I found you... Thanks for the much needed break. Now, back to that snuggly sack.

    ReplyDelete