Thursday, December 15, 2016

Blizzard Day Mittens

The sky is so threatening.  Solid.  All the indoor light is vaporous and foggy and gauzy, and the massive plow trucks go thundering by with increasing regularity.  I feel tucked in, and am having a big need to make mittens, today, in self defense.  Mittens are small and quick, and best of all, they can be snazzy.  When it comes to mittens, there is none of my usual gray-craving or need for restraint, nor worries about wearability.  Mittens are what to do with that crazy skein of worsted yarn I bought because I could not help it, in spite of the fact that one skein of crazy yarn is good for practically nothing else.  In fact, this skein (Malabrigo Mecha in "Arco Iris") might be one of those things that looks best in the skein and might well be left that way for its own good, but I think a simple mittens pattern can handle it.  The World's Simplest Mittens (by Tin Can Knits) will know what to do with the neon rainbow that is "Arco Iris".  I can't imagine what this will do on the needles--stripes, probably, or the most incorrigible pooling--but here goes.  I feel warmer already. 

18 comments:

  1. Goodness, I can't wait to see that knitted up! That purple! The Green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skein is stunning, the colours are a real delight. I await the knitting up of this yarn with sheer excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my experience this stuff doesn't pool, it changes shade every few stitches and looks like the most incredible oil-on-water effect. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what happened. However do they do it???? :)

      Delete
  4. Love that yarn, enjoy your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the skein looks lovely can't wait to see it knitted into mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess you probably already know that "arco iris" means "rainbow" in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used that exact yarn, and have never had any pooling, just beautiful variations in color. They will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That yarn looks like a perfect mitten material. Please do share the results. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn looks great and perfect for your mittens :) I am loving socks at the moment. Can't wait to see your mittens knitted up!
    Things are quite frosty here and more snow is on the way. We usually don't get much in Victoria, BC but this year we have had a few inches and then it rains and it goes away, but lately the chilly evenings at -6 keep it quite frosty! Great for knitting scarves, mittens, socks and the list goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I printed that pattern off to use up some pale blue yarn. Now I am going to find my craziest skein and use that instead. I quite like an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm bored already with my undyed Romney Marsh knitting project. I think my LYS stocks Malabrigo in similar vibrant colour ways. Tin Can Knits is a great site. I'm thinking of knitting their basic jumper in the smallest size just to learn the technique of sweater knitting in the round. Happy Snow Day Kristen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it too! Are you ready now with mitten number one?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to finish a pair of mittens but have a long list of them in my Rav que & just added was this same pattern. Perhaps their simplicity will get me to finally get a pair of them done? Love Malabrigo yarns and was accidentally sent a skein of Rios instead of the sock yarn I ordered - perhaps that one will be set aside for mittens. And I laughed when you spoke of how certain colours look so much better as a skein rather than knit up. I often think that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like the perfect pattern for that lovely skein.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your description of the day. :) Here in Colorado we got about 4-5 inches of snow and it is 1 degree out. One tiny degree haha. So I am feeling like this too, just bundle up and snuggle and craft warm things all day. I have to agree that no one ever seems to mind crazy colored mittens. I think the bright fun colors help out in the snow and the cold.

    ReplyDelete