Sunday, December 11, 2016

Critters: Mouse #1

  Eeeek!  Mice!   Great, just in time for Christmas...  
  This is the first version, and he's pretty close to what I want.  When I showed my lovely mama, she shuddered, and said, "That mouse looks too real."  Success!  I did not want a cartoon mouse, though I do have vague plans to do a little assemblage with mice playing cards or having tea or something; just thinking about that makes me laugh a little bit.  It's the funny taxidermy I love so much, made with wool.  Yes, that will be happening; watch this space.  I started with sketches, trying to figure out their bodies, what kind of shapes they're made of--almonds, shells--and then broke the drawings down into a few simple pattern pieces:  two sides and a belly gusset (just guessing at the gusset, and got it mostly right, I think) and then a few little circles and ovals for the teensy legs.  The tweedy wool he's made from is a pair of too-short Banana Republic pants that I thrifted and meant to have tailored to fit me better, but they sat there and sat there as I did not take them to the tailor, and then this idea came along, and the fabric was just right.  The wee ears, feet, and tail are leather scraps, also thrifted.    
 
I like having him creeping around on the picture frames and among the books.  He's a good egg.  I think there will be more of these. This guy hardly made a dent in the fabric--so much pants still left to cut up!  Stay tuned.  

19 comments:

  1. You are so clever, Kristen! Your mouse drawings are so good, and it's interesting to read how you developed your design, figured out how to shape the parts to be cut from those tweedy trousers.

    It's funny to see the little fellow turning up here and there. What, pray tell, is his favorite cheese...or is he still sampling? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that mouse! He looks perfect perched along edges, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! I especially love how tiny he is that most people probably wouldn't really notice him right away until they were looking at details. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mouse drawings are very clever. They are mice with personalities without being Disney characters....although I have to say a couple look suspiciously like Catdog! I didn't know that L.M. Montgomery wrote a book called 'Anne's Mouse of Dreams' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! So realistic and with personality. I love mice. Hugs to you and your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little mouse is darling and VERY realistic. Your drawings are also amazing. I've always been envious of people who can draw so well. I can barely write! :-). I can't wait to see what other little cuties you make.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. very talented..congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how sweet. I just love him/her. I like little mice anyway probably not running free in the house though. Please share when you do more the are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is an impressive make, so realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! I think you nailed it. Keep tapping into that talent, I see a lot of critters in your future :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely but having just finished a year battling rats in the house I have to say no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super, duper cute, and your mom is right, it does look rather too real. When I came home from summer travel, there were mice living on our bedroom balcony. I'm guessing the guy who moved in downstairs and started doing all kinds of renovation and a yard makeover must have disrupted their nest. They are just so darn cute, but I sure don't want them in my house. Unless they are made of tweed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. he's very cute and I love his tail

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH he looks so real! You are very talented!
    I love your Mr. Mouse!! He might needs a Mrs for Christmas!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. He's so cute! My daughter would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He has real character! Your drawings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Gawd, he is too adorable!!! :D

    ReplyDelete