Sunday, December 4, 2016

Dyepot adventures, continued

The results of my overdyeing were a big success.  This yarn, as I told you earlier, was a pretty ordinary brown/yellow to start with, an oldie from the sale bin at the Fiber Festival, Patons Classic in the pretty dull "Gold".  I could not find a use for it in its original state, and I tried at least three times, knitting a bunch of it into the beginnings of a sweater, a wrap, and another wrap, and always reaching the same conclusion; it looks like I don't actually like Paton's Classic "Gold".  Which is not to say you can't love it, but I found it a little too brown to be gold, and a little too gold to be brown, and then not being able to be anything in between, either.  So I dunked it in a pan with some hot water and one packet of Black Cherry Kool-Aid, and the improvement to "Gold" has been, in my opinion, pretty considerable.   Ratios:  one 3.5 oz skein yarn to one packet Kool-Aid.  I was looking for the color to arrive at some kind of combination of Gold and Black Cherry---for more saturation and more Black Cherryness, I think you'd want to use more packets.     This isn't my first Kool-Aid rodeo; I've dyed with it before, and I drank so much of it in my 1970's childhood that my tongue was probably always red, but this trip around the block made me remember how much fun it is to dye yarn with Kool-Aid.  It requires no special pans, tools, or other equipment, it is no messier than, well, than making Kool-Aid usually is, and it smells like the homemade popsicles we made in paper cups back in my youth.  In fact, apart from the general, usual non-foodness of the wool itself, you could probably drink the exhaust from the dyepot.  (Not that I did, but I'm just sayin.  It is nothing but clear, fruit-scented water that has had a skein of wool simmered in it.  Not food, but not dangerous).  This is a very tidy project, and the complex, burnt orange yarn results I got for my twenty-five cent investment are pretty satisfying. 
  I had a crack at the Lemongrass, too, while I was at it. This is overdyed with Grape, using the same 1:1 ratio.  It's a little variegated for my taste, but another trip through the fruit-scented soup pot would be so easy.  I might do that, or I might just cast on something with it right now, in between sewing teeny little mice out of cut-up pants from my closet.
Pretty good, I think.  Complex?  Yep.

13 comments:

  1. Pretty! I guess the kook-aid dye doesn't wash out at all? The lemongrass/grape would look good on your sweet Catdog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dye seems to be lightfast, yes! :)

      Delete
  2. My that is pretty yarn. So many beautiful yarns out there but it would be fun to make some of my own that is original like yours is. Love it!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is impressive looking yarn, exciting to dye, not really knowing the end result. Beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both colours look really good. I actually like the variegation in the green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a query, do you get much shrinkage or felting from the wool seeing as it is in hot water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any felting happen yet--the secret is to be very careful not to stir too much, not to "shock" the fiber by moving it from cold to hot (or vice versa) and not to boil it too hard. It just simmers gently, a toasty warm bath, and I handle it as little as possible while it's wet. :)

      Delete
  6. I didn't know you could dye over a colored yarn! This is great, and probably very satisfying. I love your results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad i found you.Thank you for sharing all these ideas and projects and..and.. you're so creative..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up on you posts and your creativity of late. I think the yarn works because they have ended up as colours from nature and I always think that is the best kind of colour to strive for. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your colours are great. We don't have Kool-Aid here and I'm always intrigued to read about the alchemy of dyeing with it, and those crazy Kool-Aid drink names. It's like reading my old Seventeen magazines again and being so enchanted with teen life in America!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely results!
    Looking forward to seeing what the yarn actually looks like knitted.

    ReplyDelete