Saturday, December 31, 2016

From the snowy north

   
Every night there is more snow.  The plow trucks go past my bedroom window, thundering in the silence, and they seem both monstrous and valiant--they are the way we can go forth in the morning, but the sound of them when they are upon you, right outside your window, is tremendous.  I think that's a job I might like; it's 3:00 am, and there is nothing outside but stillness and the crunchy cold and a fresh and precious snowfall, still untouched.  You fill a thermos with coffee, you put on your thermals, your woolen wrist warmers, your Carharts (with red suspenders) and climb into the tall cab of the plow truck.  Breath fogs up the window.  You turn the heat all the way up, crack the window an inch.  Then you drive up and down, along the quiet country roads, back and forth down the deserted highway, and along the fresh, silent streets, branches and twigs all sugared and dusted.  Mighty in the silence.  Warm in the truck.  The sleepy town, and me, doing the hard work of clearing it, making the way.  For a girl who really loves to sleep late and then hang around in her jammies, having a long breakfast that morphs into lunch and hunkering lazily beside the fireplace with her catdog, this seems out of place, even to me.  There it is, though.  It must be so cozy in the snowplow cab, and so beautifully singular.  Maybe one day I'll do that, right after I take up bartending, which is the other job I think I would love.  
Speaking of cozy, here is my most recent finished project--look at that enormous cowl!  I love those cables.  This thing fits me perfectly, too.  I must be getting the hang of choosing a project that will suit me, and then knitting it to fit.  You can't imagine how many total failures there have been over the years, but then I suppose that is how you master a thing, isn't it?  I am getting there.  
This is Lanvad by Justyna Lorkowska, knit in Berocco Ultra Alpaca worsted weight yarn.  This color, hard to capture, is a very complicated and muted purple/pink/gray, and I was madly in love with it until I read the actual color name on the label--the geniuses at Berocco are calling this very lovely color "Candyfloss".  Once I saw that, I could not unsee it.  Candyfloss?  I am so influenced by these things that it almost made me give up halfway, and I am not kidding.  I don't want to wear anything the color of candyfloss.  (US friends, that is Cotton Candy to you and me, and calling it "candyfloss" does not make it any less evocative of throwing up on the Tilt-a-Whirl.) 
I pressed on, though, through all my color doubts, and Doc very kindly came up with roughly a thousand other names for this color, trying to appease me about it, and I will accept just about any one of them, and actually this finished garment is near perfect, so there.  You can try to throw me off the trail, but I am too tough.  Take that, Berocco.  You can't candyfloss me.    
I wish you all a very Happy and Cozy New Year.  Stay warm out there, lovely friends.  Xoxo  

29 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh, I hope you aren't going to let the silly name affect how feel about that sweater, which is totally amazing. It's quite a beautiful color, and the fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you ever read Barbara Pym? In "Excellent Women" the protagonist buys a lipstick:

    "It's called Hawaiian Fire," I mumbled, feeling rather foolish, for it had not occurred to me that I should have to say it out loud."

    Your sweater is exactly the color of winter twilight, at least what we are having today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweater is beautiful! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throwing up on the Tilt-a-Whirl, OMG, I 'bout laughed up a lung! Yes, that name for that yarn is quite a misnomer; surely they could have come up with something else. The sweater is beautiful and the cables on the cowl collar are amazing. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought this pattern so impressed was I by your stunning end product. Well done. As it is 40 degrees celsius here today (South Australia) I won't be wearing it just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I absolutely love that sweater. I sure hope the name doesn't affect you in wearing it because it fits you perfectly and is gorgeous! I smiled at the snowplow wishes. I dread hearing the plow go by our window because I know we'll be plowed in just as we've cleared the driveway. :-)
    Happy New Year
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes Kristen, this is the one. I've just learnt how to cable so even that gorgeous roll-neck holds no terrors. This I hope is going to be my New Year knit, thank you as always for the inspiration. By the way it was wonderful to see you sewing with your family. My 20-year-old daughter made tiny felt stuffed cats to hang on the tree and I too feel as if I've gained two more children as I love and appreciate their partners so much. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous sweater/jumper, beautiful colour & is worthy of a much better name! still, it is just the thing to bring in the new year
    Happy New Year!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous! I love a generous cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is simply beautiful...what a great job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Call that color dusky lavender and be done with it! Catdog looks like she's found the perfect hibernation spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That color, in no way, makes me think of candyfloss or cotton candy. It's far more beautiful and complex. The sweater turned out gorgeous.


    Happy New Year! May 2017 be so wonderful, no one us can recall the monster that was 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sweater,great fit and the cozy cowl makes it perfect. Cables are on my list of new techniques to learn for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristen, I just wanted to say thank you for your lovely blog. I love knitting and am currently working on my second Aran cardigan project. I find your blog very inspiring and it is lovely to know that there are kindred spirits that feel the same way about knitting, crochet etc. out there! Happy New Year and thank you again !

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a gorgeous sweater and I loved the writing about the snow plow job :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A stunning sweater, pattern, colour (despite its silly name) and fit. Wishing you a wonderful and very cosy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! Candyfloss isn't that colour anyway; your-sweater-coloured candyfloss would be as unappealing as a candyfloss coloured sweater. That cowl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful sweater - can you adopt me and knit me beautiful things.
    Have a very happy and creative New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY NEW YEAR, full of health and creativity,for all of you..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catdog looks so toasty. Love your brilliant new sweater. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh this is just gorgeous - and not at ALL like candyfloss. From the photos it looks more silvery than anything. Like rainclouds - Yes call it that! Raincloud.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing! So simple, so beatiful :) happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to add I agree that candyfloss is completely inappropriate, I would describe as heather or ....

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy New Year! Candyfloss, I ask you? Throw the ball band away and call it whatever you want because it is a beautiful jumper with a fab cowl. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow what a beautiful jumper. I don't care what the colour is called it's simply stunning and doesn't it suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy New Year! Bonne Année Kirsten!
    Thank you for this lovely post and your sweater is indeed beautiful!
    I would describe it as a dusty Mauve or some type of muted / powdered heather
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the sweater! You knit so well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete