Tuesday, December 27, 2016

In the in-between

Hello there!  Whoo, I am tired.  It's been a houseful around here, almost all of my people in one place, all at the same time, which since we are basically nomadic as a tribe doesn't happen very often.  Via planes, trains, and automobiles they all found their way here to the cozy things shack and we squeezed them hard and kissed them incessantly and fed them constantly, and then installed them on camping mattresses underneath piles of quilts in every corner, and I realized we didn't even have enough towels in the cupboard, which meant a sort of frustrating last minute dash to Macy's (the mall!  At Christmastime!  Aaaaugh!  Charlie Brown noises here) and stocked the bar with weird/delicious local gin and Bailey's.  We ate everything and stayed up almost until dawn playing Canasta and listening to Andy Williams, and later I made them all sit around the table and sew things.  My boy, who is not a boy anymore, by the way, but a fully grown-up person, [what, when did that happen]--embroidered with us, because he saw it would mean something to me if he sat down and played along, and my girls and I (we happily have three beautiful girls now, because my own two are bringing their special people along with them) made tiny mice (from the free pattern by the inspiring and talented Ann Wood) and photographed them dancing and having a party of their own.  We watched Elf.  We ate Pasta Alla Carbonara and lemon cake and gigantic jumbo shrimp, and went to Mama San's for noodles, and it was all just the very best.  The very, very best.  (Here's a holiday tip for you:  it is easy to trick people into staying up just a little longer, for one more story or song or hand of cards--just put a dish of olives or hummus or gouda flavored crackers in the middle of the table.  You guys, people will stay up all night long for olives.  Those are my findings, anyway.)      I gifted some secret knitting to my lovely mama, a Fairfield Cardigan, designed by Michele Wang for Brooklyn Tweed, knitted in Wool of the Andes Tweed from KnitPicks, in a color perfectly named "North Pole Heather."  I started knitting this cardigan back in August so I wouldn't have a repeat of last year's last minute freakout about trying to finish it in time, and I'm so glad I did that, because this thing was done and wrapped a month ago, and all I had left of it was to anticipate her reaction.  She didn't disappoint me, and of course it looks solid gold on her, because she's one of those types who looks good in everything.     So we have successfully pulled off another family holiday, and I'm in recovery mode now, and doing all those end-of-the-year things like thinking about rearranging all the furniture again and wanting a new haircut and organizing all the yarn and patterns into piles, and making plans for things to make that should last me a good long time.  I have some gorgeous new yarn, and some beautiful, handmade new tools that go with a new crafty thing I can't wait to show you, too, something brand-new to me, something that's really pushing all the happy buttons pretty hard, and I am getting the hang of it.  That's a story for next time.  Meanwhile, enjoy these in-between the holidays days, my friends, and as always, thank you so much for visiting me here.  I can't even say what it means to me.  With love, from my little cottage to yours.  Xoxo  K

33 comments:

  1. I wandered in here from Jenn's Crafty World and before I knew it I had spent a nearly half hour browsing your beautiful blog. I look forward to coming back and seeing what wonderful thing you are up to. I've subscribed so I don't lose you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delightful post! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that you had all of your "tribe" home for the holidays. Thanks for being online; it's a treat to read your blog. Richard in Charlotte, North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! The happiness comes through every word in this post. It sounds like a fantastic time of love and sharing.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story! I realize that I wouldn't recognize your son and daughter if I ran into them. Which one of the girls is which in the group shot? . The sweater yarn is marvelous. I'm hoping for hair your Mom's color. Will find out in a few months when it's all grown out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the UK and love reading your blog, thank you so much for sharing.
    Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, it was like visiting a friend. I love the cardigan and the mice, we made 3 ships from her pattern, using the music from 'I saw 3 ships' for the sails, Ann is very generous. I also loved the felt baubles. I hope the new year is as happy for you and yours. D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased to hear the Holi-days were so special and filled with your loved ones. Ah that moment when we realize one of our hatchlings has become an adult. Mom's glorious hair: so very wonderful as is the sweater!!! Wondering how Catdog fares amongst so much activity in a house so filled with people's coming and goings and all of that love? Best wishes and love to all in the coming year!! Twigwoman~ xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad all is well en your house was so cozy with all your family. Love the sweet "muisjes". The vest of your mom is super nice. Best Wishes for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this post! Nearly everyone else's posts lately have been whining about how they hate Christmas, want it to be over, etc.

    I love Christmas, and really enjoyed all of it this year. So I'm especially glad I wasn't the only one!

    Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post...and olives would not do it for me...LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, this post really conveyed the full experience of having a house full of folks who care about each other...and with Christmas in the mix. Wow!

    The emergency Mall trip ... I could see it all.

    The cardigan that you knit for your Mom is very beautiful. I'm guessing that she will be wearing it lots.

    Hoping you'll have a bit of a rest and that 2017 will bring you many wonderful experiences. It's such a pleasure to visit your site here and over on IG, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun...don't you just love Christmas when family come from afar and there is load of catching up to do! It certainly sounds as if you have had a wonderful Christmas!!!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your story of your family Christmas. Missing my mum at this time of year especially. We had some sadness this year on the 21st, but we still had a Christmas full of dear friends and family. Love the sweater you made for your mum, looks great on her. The idea of making those embroidered things put a smile on my face! Olives, yes olives, love olives and specially good salami with crusty bread and spreads for sure!!! New Years is coming and that is a great thing to put out then as most of us can't stay awake past 9!!!
    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I`m from Germany and I love to read your stories (although I don`t understand every single word :-))and I love knitting, too.. The cardigan is really beautiful!!!!
    All the best for you in 2017!
    Margit

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all this, the knitting, the embroidering, the eating olives, and especially the 'squeezed them hard and kissed them incessantly'. I am missing a large part of my family this year as they haveChristmas in Europe or Australia so there were less to squeeze but I made do with the remaining two. And the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful. ALL of it.
    Wishing you a happy and cozy new year ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like so much fun! and how lovely to have time to make something together. Did you create the pattern for the ornaments? They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got them all making - hats off to you. Enjoy the New Year Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely family Christmas you've had - from reading your words you can feel the love and warmth you all shared which is lovely, thank you for sharing and very best wishes to you all for 2017 x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kristen,
    Heartwarming post. Best wishes for a wonderful and Happy New Year. Looking forward to your next crafty adventure.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a wonderful post.

    The merriest of all the holidays to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Holidays! Looking forward to the upcoming crafty reveal. Seeing your tabletop tree reminded me I forgot to get mine up this year! Huh. Your Mom looks wonderful in that lovely sweater. Lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing your holiday "camp out" with us! Sounds like just my kind of heaven and am so happy for you all that you were together. This December has been on the bleak side for me and mine and it warms my heart to know that lots of folks had good holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmm... olives and family! And a Christmas workshop! How fun!!! Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!! I recognize the sorting and organizing and planning and dreaming... lots of that going on here too. So cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oooh enjoy your in between time, love the cardigan, the kids looks happy and well fed (did your daughter cut her hair? That's wild!) I'm in Colorado helping out a friend who had surgery, so I'm missing this week between holidays, and will need to put Christmas away when I get home. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for 2017 :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. ooooh, this post is lovely - makes me want to do Christmas all over again!! I'll try the olives trick tomorrow night with my kiddos.

    And those absolutely adorable ornaments with the bells and embroidered trees - did you make up that pattern?! It's so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for welcoming us.
    All the best to you and yours for 2017,
    Tracey x.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful gathering. The ornaments are adorable. Love the cardigan for your mom and my she has such gorgeous hair color. Best to you and yours in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Kristen. You made my day! My family is far and wide and I had just decided to be more proactive about family times when I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice pics! I especially love the embroidered leaves on the first pic, they are sooo beautiful ♥. Happy New Year, Kristen, may 2017 bring lots of luck, health and fun to you & yours! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh girly, I am coming to your house for the Holidays 2017!!! You make it all sound so fun, and easy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete