Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Gray is good

Well, the heart wants what it wants.  An evaluation of my wardrobe has revealed that I need/want a gray turtleneck pullover.  I know. I know!  Really, everything I wear is gray, so knitting things in other colors is mostly just an exercise.  If I want to wear it a lot, it has to be gray.  Also a long road trip over the weekend really cannot be endured without knitting.  I seriously don't know how people who don't knit can do that.  I know it drove me totally bonkers before I figured it out.  So I worked on this (September Morn by Thea Colman) A LOT over the past few days, and it is--whew--almost finished already.  One sleeve to go.  Also recommended for road trips--Tom Petty.  Gah!  He's so good!  Tom is in my head right now.  Fourteen solid hours of something will do that.  
  I'm using Patons Classic Worsted in Dark Gray Mix, still trying to knit up the stash.  This one will get a lot of wear.  
I made this project bag, too, the other day, from a scrap of thrifted I don't know what, maybe it's canvas?  Probably it is upholstery fabric, or at least something meant for home dec.  I lined it with a piece of calico that was leftover from something else.  This bag is about 12" x 18", with a boxed bottom and a zipper top so I don't have to worry about losing anything.  I have a (really nice) open-top project bag that I used a lot last year, but one day I came home to find a loose ball of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter just sitting there in the driveway, waiting to blow into the road. Ever since then, I worry.  So this one is the right size for a whole sweater-in-progress, plus the pattern sheet, and also it stands up.  I'm pretty happy with it.  
 
In between marathons of knitting with gray yarn and binge-watching Tom Petty videos on Youtube (you should be doing that too, really.  Go.  He's everything good.  I think Tom Petty is how we survived the eighties with our rock and roll intact) I am working on this too--English Paper Piecing, for my Creative Year Project.  English Paper Piecing requires so much stuff; three pairs of scissors, pens, pencils, freezer paper, irons.  A proper mess.  I'm using a box (the best idea ever, from Twyla Tharp, via Ann Wood) to store it all, and to keep the idea safe while I am off working on other things.  I really recommend this for those times when the ideas are coming thick and fast and you're kind of afraid they'll get away before you can get around to them.  Just put it all into a box--anything that has anything to do with the idea; scraps, doodles, words, all of it--and label the box.  There, it's all in one place, waiting for you when you're ready.  Doing this has helped me sleep better, and I'm not making that up.  
Catdog always comes home from these weekends away completely exhausted from running with the other hounds.  She collapses contentedly on the sofa, sighs heartily.  I cover her with a blanket, kiss her on the head.  She is instantly asleep.  

17 comments:

  1. I love gray too. It's fun to knit with other colors, but the gray gets worn most around here as well. I can't stand turtle necks though unless they are more of a cowl neck and feel nice and loose. I love your wrap on the last post. Love. Thanks for the pattern! That soft gray is the perfect color. I'd like to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Tom Petty! agree music is so great. Love your gray - wish I could knit more than scarfs :) but I'm just not good at it sometimes I bring some hand piecing along on trips which is what I usually do when we travel-I make quilts - I think a lot of quilters don't realize how much you can get done by hand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice sweater and I feel the same about road trips. I always have several projects to choose from when I travel. I adore this picture of catdog. So content and happy. Just like my Chloe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful sweater and project bag. Looking forward to seeing the English paper piecing project. The photo of catdog was amazing, such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why wouldn't you wear gray all the time with your beautiful hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good road trip when I do not have to drive. Love the sweater in progress, and catdog is the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that photo of cat dog is soooo cute! He's a lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Catdog! I could watch you sleeping all day long. My all time favourite items of winter clothing are the right grey (you say gray) and black polo (you say turtle) neck sweaters. I could manage with just those two for winter. Isn't the box idea good? And it seems so obvious I wonder why I didn't know this before. This is a lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh grey love! It's nice and looks cozy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet Catdog! The catdogs know how to chill in comfort!
    Loving the grey sweater, you just cant go wrong with grey, in fact you can never have enough grey. And when you sometimes have had enough it can be perked up beautifully with a scarf or accessory in any colour under the sun.
    That is such a great idea for EPP bits and bobs. I have my ongoing EPP project in a large summer bag with a zip for the same reason - I actually know where it all is and can just grab it when the mood takes me so get what you say about sleeping at night.
    I have never really listened to Tom Petty but my husband is a great fan so I know I can instantly place my hands on at least 3 CDs - as a storm blows outside I will listen to him with some crochet later on.
    Thanks for a great and inspiring post as ever Kristen - happy creating!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catdog looks so cute all tucked up. Losing a ball of wool like that would make me paranoid :) Your project bag looks very practical like it could hold a lot of wool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh lovely bag! Your mind must be a beautiful creative place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The box idea is most excellent, and will be put to use right away. Love your latest gray piece and the deep bag plus zipper sounds like a smart way to keep your balls out of the driveway :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you are making another gray sweater. They are all beautiful, but how do you keep track of them? Your closet must have a very bright light so you can see through the piles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a shoe box kind of girl, it is a great way to keep everything in one place. That bag is a great idea, I need a bigger one. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The photo of your dog made me smile. My dog does the same thing after a weekend at boarding. I pick her up, she sits up as I leave the parking lots then crashes in the backseat until we get home. Then sleeps the rest of the day on her favorite blanket.

    ReplyDelete