Friday, February 10, 2017

Vivid Socks

Get thee behind me, bleak winter landscape!  I've got your color, right here.  You might recall that I started these last spring, made heroic headway on them, because after all, stripes! And then tucked them away for what was supposed to be a minute because people were coming over and I needed the table for eating or whatever, and then totally forgot about them.  Well, I am almost fifty years old, so this is what is starting to happen.  Socks?  What socks?  I don't see any socks...  
These were made in what is probably pretty much every color of Arwetta Classic, a merino blend sock yarn, a big lovely box of which was gifted to me last year by my lovely Yarn Fairy Hilde.  She has such a beautiful, bright sense of color, and had arranged the yarns in a specific way in the box, with warm colors on one side and cool colors on the other, with each color kind of related to its corresponding neighbor, which I thought was so perfect and so interesting, and so very Hilde.    
  This is how they were when I got them.  A muted olive (far upper left) = muted mustard (far upper right).  Clear bright blue at middle right, clear bright red at middle left.  Two deep darks at center, bottom row; one is warm, one is cool.  Can you see what she's doing here?  I just loved how she came up with a sort of color scheme rule for herself, which I can't even really articulate--it seems to have to do with value and hue, all of which is so vague in my mind-- then arrayed them thusly in order so that my amazement in them would be as huge as possible.  Hilde, you're wonderful.  That right there is someone who understands color, and also someone who understands fun.  Speaking as a girl who understands gray, this many colors all in one place was both an overload of inspiration, and also a little bit paralyzing.  I had so many ideas, and I started a couple of them, realized they weren't worthy, tried again, again, again...that's how it works for me, I'm coming to realize.  Nothing that isn't steeked is permanent in knitting, am I right?  The eagle-eyed among you will surely notice all the dog hair that's already stuck to these finished socks, and everywhere else, really.  The catdog doesn't have much hair to spare, but that isn't stopping her from shedding like she doesn't even need any.  So cute, that dog.  As I was taking these photographs a little while ago, she was in the other room daintily removing the pompom from a hat I'd left drying beside the fireplace.  
There were so many ends that I kind of considered just leaving them in and wearing the socks with them still bristling up the inside, like a lazy girl's thrummed mitten.  Finally I wove them in as hastily as I possibly could, fueled by a dozen episodes of the Fibertrek podcast, and was pretty pleased to see the end of that part of the project.  The ends left me with a fistful of yarn snippets big enough to inspire yet more projects.  I'll probably leave them outside for the birds--I love the idea of maybe someday finding a fallen nest, or coming upon one tucked into the hedge, that has a few of these yarn bits whimsically woven into it.  There have been so many birds in our yard lately, I don't remember ever seeing so many.  One of them will certainly appreciate all this soft yarn in such vivid colors as much as I have.  
Thank you, Hilde.  Spring is coming.  

19 comments:

  1. I love those! One of my favorite pairs is a pair I call my Jamaican sock because they are so colorful. Happy feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an excellent gift and a great outcome. What a cute pup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful socks! So happy and whimsical. I love them. They make me hope spring is on the way.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I leave yarn bits for the budgies to find, too!

    Such fun socks =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully cheerful socks! I have actually found a bird nest in the driveway, picked it up, and discovered a length of my own yarn in it! So very much fun. I keep Ukrainian Easter eggs in that nest now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhh my what wonderful gorgeous socks! love the colours!
    i recently tried making a sock, succeeded too, except it was too small lol but am at it again with a 2nd on the needles.
    love seeing what you come up with in your yarny adventures
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous socks :-)
    I just wanted to add I love your wonderful blog. Whenever I need inspiration I look through past posts, I now want to make a scrappy patchwork quilt after seeing yours in one of your earliest posts 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. Serious case of sock envy from so many miles away!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have a serious case of sock envy, they are stunning. Love the beautiful array of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate weaving in ends.... and I was going to leave the snippings outside for the birds, because like you, I rather liked the idea of a colourful nest somewhere. However, a wise old owl, heavily into nature, conservation, birding and so forth told me not to be so silly as the birds can get caught up in the woolly bits. So I didn't put them out for the birds, and feel sort of sorry that they are missing out on a lovely colourful, snuggy type of nest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that was a marathon end weaving session. They look great so well worth the effort. A little colour at last.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are stunners. Who needs a pom-pom anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic socks, I have serious envy but not for weaving the ends in. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! you did them. They are pretty fabulous in both colour and length - I never get my socks that long I always cast off too soon. My Aftur stranded sweater is finished and on my blog today. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are brilliant. You must knit at the speed of sound.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love stripes and I always have cold feet. I am a terrible and slow knitter, though. I can do scarves and shawls, make tons of those, but all the rest would be a disaster without my mother's help! I envy you talent!

    ReplyDelete