Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Plans

Hey you guys, I am going to Rhinebeck this year.  It is happening!  I feel like an eight-year old getting ready for her first trip to Disneyland.  The wall-to-wall woolly-ness.  The leaves and the cider and the like-minded people all around.  Oh, sigh!  Lovely.  The first thing to figure out is:  what on earth to wear?  Rhinebeck is where yarn lovers let their mad skills out and let their freak flags fly, and I thought this would make all my current mostly-stockinette projects fall by the wayside so I could plan some kind of epic garment--there has been a LOT (more than usual, even) of trawling through patterns, but I am as yet undecided.  Anything I make specifically for that occasion still has to fit into the regular wardrobe when I get home, and that makes a delicate balancing act.  I love the idea of starting something special.  I think I will enjoy the lengthy search through pattern options, and if the search turns up nothing that really wants to be my Rhinebeck Sweater, I'll just wear something from the shelf in the closet and be happy.  I do have these to show you, little mitts I made while the weather was too warm to be worrying about cold hands, but they will be just right in October.  These were designed by me, using up some scraps--the two main colors are Dream in Color Classy, in a discontinued colorway, some kind of antique gold [here are their current colorways, lock up your credit card before you click that link, whoo] and the ubiquitous Patons Classic Worsted in Lemongrass.  The contrast colors are all from the leftovers basket--I think the pink is from my experiments in dyeing with avocado pits.  I thought about going on ahead and making them into mittens, and once October is over and winter sets in hard and there is no place in my life for naked fingertips, I might do that, just pull out the bind off at the top of the hand and thumb, and do some decreases until the fingers are covered.  Meanwhile, though, I like them this way.  By the way, the main stitch pattern is from this book, and the contrast color band is something I just improvised.  
Maybe instead of a whole sweater just for Rhinebeck, I'll wear a ton of accessories, like these?  A hat, a cowl, interesting socks.  Less commitment.  Especially since, what with Doc as always coming along for the ride, and as always planning to be kilted up and looking fine, he will be needing a new sweater.  
A Rhinebeck Sweater for Doc.  Coming up soon. 

22 comments:

  1. Ah, Rhinebeck. We went last year for the first time and it was blissful. NYS is so beautiful in its fall colors. I had no idea there are so many different kinds of sheep and llamas and goats. I saw my first vicuna - so cute. My only discomfort came when I realized we were admiring the sheep up on the hill and the beautiful yarn they produced, but down below, folks were selling platefuls of lamb stew. Do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. I once ate a bowl of chili at camp, right before they enlightened us about the bull they "used to have". Eeeek!

      Delete
  2. The fingerless gloves are super. I like the idea of accessories and so useful for later. Those skeins of yarn loook like a really good match for the kilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was already in the stash! Win/win. :)

      Delete
  3. It's a dream of mine to go to Rhinebeck someday. I think the idea of the accessories is a wonderful one. The sweater is a huge commitment and if you're already making one for doc... well there is the time commitment thing going on. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear all about it.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, Doc is nicely medium-sized, so if I get it done in time, who knows? Xoxo

      Delete
  4. Totally fabulous gloves. Dress to impress and have a great time. Did you see my intarsia gloves? https://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/circle-wave-knittted-gloves.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those gloves are fabulous. You are so talented. It sounds like an exciting trip. I can't wait to see what you make...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are wonderful!

    You could always wear your Monkees sweater or the...what did you call it? Woodland Coat (maybe? it had the teeny granny squares on top, then the rest was knitted)

    or the gorgeous cream confection you made with that ethereal lamb's wool

    I've been around here a while lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XOXOXOXO!!! That's all. Thank you, Beckie.

      Delete
  7. I'll be watching for those scrumptious arm warmers -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you spot them, please say hello! :)

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide upon, but I'd like to put in a nod towards that lovely dress you knitted - especially as (from memory) it seems to complement those mitts you've just made.
    Vicky from Brum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep in mind the weather. Two years ago it snow flurried a little bit. Last year it was too warm for scarves, mitts, hats, or sweaters! I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be prepared with either hot cocoa and ten handknits or iced coffee and one wispy item. Never can tell in NY, right? I hope to see you there, too! :)

      Delete
  10. Rhinebeck looks amazing. I hope you find the perfect something to make for it. I'm sure you will, or atleast something that triggers an idea. Good luck with the Docs sweater!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and I meant to say I just LOVE those mitts. The colours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there Kristen! These warmers look great but I really really like your sweater too!!!!! It has stripes, and those colors! and it has pockets? Did you make this? Or buy? You can do like YouTube bloggers nowadays and share what you are wearing, haha! But really, it's a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete