Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Walnut Heather

A few weeks ago, I saw someone wearing a poly-fleece jacket with zipper and a little stand-up collar.  It looked warm and comfortable.  Relaxed, but also somehow put-together, if that can ever be said of a sweatshirt.  She had it zipped only in the middle, kind of at the waist.  Slim-lined, long-bodied, good.  I coveted it, but poly-fleece jackets with zippers are not my jam; handknits are my jam.  I came home and drew (on my favorite thing ever, Fashionary Panels--if you're trying to make your own clothes in any way, you should go get yourself some) this little drawing, imagining the lines of it in a handknit sweater.  I gave it ribbed sleeves for ultra-sleeve-slimness, and a folded ribbed collar for maximum stand-up-ness, tall because my neck is ridiculous.  I moved the waist shaping fifteen stitches to the front and back of the side seams, for more polish.  I dove into the stash for some Cascade 220 in Walnut Heather, a diffuse grayish-brown that seems to crop up in my stash over and over again.  It is the most nondescript color in the world, the color of mice, the color of my hair before it started to turn gray.  I keep finding myself with a bunch of yarn that's this color, and it must be I love it.  I knit a swatch, measured myself, did a little math, and started knitting, and now I have this:
Pictures of me wearing it have been delayed by the fact that it is (I know) actually sweltering here right now.  (I know!) Weather permitting, I might wear this to Rhinebeck?  I guess that is going to be true of anything I finish between now and October, now that I think about it.  This won't be the last thing I knit between now and then, let's face it.  And, as a few have pointed out, this is New York, and October in New York is a capricious thing.  It might snow, and it might be 75 degrees, and a knitter should plan accordingly.  Whatever the weather, even if I have to pair them with shorts, I will be wearing handknits to Rhinebeck, and this might be one of them.  Neutral sweater, crazily-colored accessories?  I think that sounds like so much fun.  There is at least one more neutral cardigan nearing the finish line at the moment, so anything is still possible.  Maybe it will be cold enough to wear them both!  Or maybe just armwarmers and a bathing suit, I don't know.  New York, after all.  

28 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks stunnishing! I'm impressed by your design, it looks so perfectly shaped, the ribbed raglan sleeves, the open part at the front, everything! I know one thing for shore: I'm going to search for a pattern that looks like this. Especially those sleeves makes it to a very fine knit, I think.
    Did I already say I love, love, love it (haha)?
    Enjoy yourself on Rinebeck, I'm always looking forward to the stories and pictures about Rhinebeck on several blogs, I would love to go there once (a dream that will never come true though, I'm Dutch, no way I'll ever visit the USA, but dreaming is fine too).
    Love, Anja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could take any plain cardigan pattern and modify it into one like this. Just work the sleeve stitches in 1x1 ribbing, and make the collar extra-tall, then fold it over and sew it down. Presto! :)

      Delete
  2. Let me get this... you saw it, drew it and then made it! It is amazing. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen you do the same thing with sewing--didn't you make a cami top with pintucks and the whole bit, just from your mighty brain? :D

      Delete
  3. You have absolutely blown me away, from the first thought of this sweater to the end result. It is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love....and if a pattern comes about, I am on that in a heart beat! FAbulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need a pattern, you can DIY one too! I believe in you. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! I just hope your body double is willing to share it with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good on her, doesn't it? She measures like me, but somehow looks...younger...lol!

      Delete
  6. I am in awe of your talents! TO just look at something draw it, and then knit it. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning sweater!! All the details really make it sing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg that is gorgeous! how do you do that? you have a real talent for design, it boggles my brain 10 fold!
    stunning truly stunning & love the style too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again I am in total awe of your skills - and the way you have an idea; work it out yourself and in the blink of an eye there is the perfect garment ready to wear!

    I too hate synthetic fleece garments (but they are so useful) and I have intentions of looking up a 'fleece' yarn that the wonderful Rowan Yarns in the UK used to produce.

    But that is my huge problem - "she was full of good intentions" will surely be my epitaph!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many more intentions than there are minutes in the day, aren't there? :D

      Delete
  10. Love it! It ticks all the boxes for the kind of sweater/cardigan/jacket I like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. The color will be beautiful on you, I am sure. I grew up near Rhinebeck...you never know what you'll get in October, weather-wise. Bring a sweater and warm socks, as well as short-sleeved tops. Layers are your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! You've outdone yourself. I love seeing your creations. (and your sketches and notes...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you know when and where to decrease and increase? I have two grand daughters have there measurements and still can't figure that out. This is stunning!! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous pattern, well done.Also love the colouring.

    ReplyDelete