Monday, September 18, 2017

Fading pullover, in handspun

No, wait.  First the yarn:
A few weeks ago, Ann Weaver was having a destash on Instagram, and for one lot of random chunks of spinning fiber from her collection, pieces of who knew what all sorts of sheep or wool or states of prep, I got there first and bought it.  So there was this peach and gray and cream fiber from Carodan Farm with no color name, so I spun it all fluffy and gave it a name:  "Grilled Salmon."  It is as soft as butter. 
Next was something else mysterious from Spunky Eclectic--it is pink and purple and more pink, with a little bit of yellow, possibly accidentally.  I called this one "Plastic Pony."  (I love good color names.  Why wouldn't you give it a great name?)  
This is a merino/tencel blend in a misty blue-gray that matched my ring almost exactly, so--"Moonstone."  
This is another Spunky Eclectic, and it had a label--this is Wensleydale, and she called it "Perfect Storm".  Wensleydale is a "longwool", and on the sheep, the fleece looks like--I'm not kidding--my own hair.  Look.  Dyed here, and spun into a two-ply, it looked less like me and more like tourmaline.  More jewels.  
This last one is a combination of everything and the kitchen sink, including sparkle.  I spun two unrelated fibers as singles and then plied them together, and they made the prettiest yarn of the bunch.  Deep blue and glitter, with flecks of foam: "Ocean."  
The yellow ("Big Yellow Taxi") didn't make the sweater cut, but it looks so good, doesn't it?  Anyway, even though my first impulse is to add these skeins to the stash and let them sit there forever, or at least until they've become way too precious to use for anything, I thought they just looked great all together, so I decided to make a sweater out of it.  I counted up the total yardage, figured out that I had spun this all mostly at an aran weight, and knit a swatch--4 stitches per one inch, on a US 8.  I drew a quickie sketch of what I wanted, measured myself, set Doc to calculating how many rows of each I would need to knit in order to both use it up and also not run out, and started knitting, a self-drafted, top-down pullover.  I measured it a lot as I went, to make sure I was still on track.  I'm not gonna lie, I fretted some; this, I'm sure you've noticed, is not gray.  Purply-pink yarn?  Peach?  Bright blue?  But then, what else is the point of all the spinning, if I'm too chicken to wear the yarn?  Guess what, self?  It's pretty.  You made that.  Shut up and knit.  The project bristled with needles as, at one point, I had the body and both sleeves going at the same time, with strands coming up from both ends of two balls of yarn, and then I came close to running out of yarn--there's no finding a second ball of any of this anywhere--and then, because I'd decided not to use the yellow, I did run short and had to stash dive, coming up with a handspun from my friend Deb's sheep, a rescued orphan of unknown origin called Liam, a few batts of whose fleece I spun four years ago, and which was (shockingly) beautifully balanced and kind of perfect, and which was the perfect finish for the hem and cuffs.  Whew, some gray.  
You guys.  This is my favorite thing I've made this year.  It is so warm, and so cozy, and so just right in every way.  Because it was made exactly for me, it fits perfectly.  It's a little bit heavy, so bring it on, winter!  I'm not afraid of you!  I wore it for ten minutes on Saturday, to the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival, and no less than Jill Draper told me it was beautiful and that she loved it, and that I had done a good job.  I folded that moment into a little origami heart and tucked it away for a rainy day.  Then I took off the sweater and stuffed it in a bag because it was a gorgeous 81 degrees, and bought a whole bunch more yarn.  And a fleece.  For more spinning.  

35 comments:

  1. That is awesome, well done, maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how pretty is that. Wear it with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater is just so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful sweater!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, this is beautiful! And inspiring! The gray is the perfect addition to the sleeves/hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! I love it and all the yarns that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just beautiful Kristen! Congratulations :-) will it be your Rhinebeck sweater? Funny story.. the day of your last post I had been looking at that exact same sweater with an eye to knitting two of them for my grandsons for Christmas. I decided to pick a different sweater for them from the same ebook but (even though they were thoroughly measured & I got gauge!!) I had Huge issues with the size!!! I have ended up completely re writing the sleeves, still knitting them so don't know about the body yet... I would have really assumed I had mucked up somewhere had I not read your post! It also makes me wary of other patterns in the collection... anyways happy knitting whatever is on your needles now!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think my problems with Doc's sweater were my own: 1) the yarn is too smooth--hence, my inexpert "repair" shows up like a neon sign, and 2) the collar, knit as written, probably looks like the picture, but I don't like it, so I went off on my own, with mixed results. Actually, to confess, I will be ripping that sweater back to the start of the neck shaping and trying again. Later, when I have the strength. ;)

      Delete
  8. What a great yarn, story! :) Lyrical prose, lovely colors...what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It all worked better than I deserve, given the beginner-ness of my spinning skills. :)

      Delete
  9. wow love how the colours soften each other & then the grey highlights it all again, very clever!
    beautiful, i'm not into stripes as such but this is stunning
    well done!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. GORGEOUS!

    The grey really grounds the whole thing quite perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours worked out perfectly, but yes, the yellow is lovely but just wouldn't have "fit" in the way the others did. Excellent work Kristen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one of the prettiest sweaters I've ever seen. I love the colours and textures together. You've inspired me to stash dive and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, do it, and I'd love to see! :)

      Delete
  13. Oh! Oh! (lightbulb moment!)
    Such inspiration- again! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is amazing. I often wondered what people did with those singles, did they just stroke them I thought! This is the best way to make the most fantastic jumper and use you different skeins. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've always done with them up until now, yep. :D I took the plunge, and whoo! I'm pretty pleased I did. Now I'm looking at all the other handspun skeins in the stash...

      Delete
  15. Wow, this sweater came out beautifully. I love the colors, the texture, the fading, everything. I've been spinning off and on for the past two years, but I've been too scared to knit with any of the yarn that I've spun. This sweater project and your other projects are inspiring me. I can't wait to make something with my yarn. :-) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, use them! I can't wait to see what you make. :)

      Delete
  16. It is beautiful and the color blending is just perfect! Great job. :) Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes that's nice! I'm so bad at matching colors... you're good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this was pretty on Instagram, but these up close shots are gorgeous. Love all the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. شركة المثالية للتنظيف
    شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام
    شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالخبر
    شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل
    شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالقطيف

    شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف مسابح بالقطيف
    شركة صيانة مسابح بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام

    افضل خدمات شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجميع مدن ومحافظات المنطقة الشرقية بالمملكة العربية السعودية للتنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات والمقدمة بافضل جودة وارخص الاسعار حيث توفر شركة المثالية للتنظيف خصم 30% لجميع خدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات وجلي البلاط اتصل الان واحصل علي خصومات شركة المثالية للتنظيف

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous gorgeous sweater, I am sure it looks divine on you!!

    ReplyDelete