Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Evolution of a Hat, not a pattern

DSCF1821a

I love the juxtaposition of gray and neon.  It is the sun peeking though the clouds.  A bit of sweet surprise.  I’ve talked a lot about the huge need I have to add neutrals to my bright colors, and I think most everybody agrees that a little blah can set off the brights so beautifully, just droning in support while the limes and geraniums and fuchsias stand up and sing out loud.  I love how sometimes it works the other way, too, where the bright color can be a small counterpoint to the quiet of a big expanse of brown or gray, like a quick intake of breath. There is this, which has long been on the list of things I will be making eventually.   In fact, just thinking about it, just now, I want to start making that blanket today.  I just might.  I went smaller to start, though, and so I made this hat first.  

I started with the yarn; two small skeins of Mission Falls 1824 in taupe (color 03), leftover from this project, and went to the Infinity Circle Scarf pattern from this book.  I didn’t have enough yarn for the cowl as it is written in the pattern, so I decided to do a shorter cowl, one that would snug up to my neck and (despite the natural holes resulting from crochet) help keep the weather out.  I chained something like 60-ish and started working the cluster stitch pattern.  The yarn was really running out fast, and when I had done twelve rounds, I tried it on.  It didn’t really fit over my head very well.  In fact, it actually fit on my head, pretty nicely.  Oh!  Just like that, it was a hat.  On the next round, I worked one cluster as written and then the next two clusters together to decrease.  Another plain round of clusters, then two rounds of two clusters together, all of which snugged it up really nicely at the top.  Lo, it was hat-shaped, and so slouchy. Love.  I fastened it off, and wove in the ends. 

Going back to the beginning chain, I worked two rounds of single crochets and then switched to the brightest yarn in my cupboard—Ella Rae Classic in the very best lime green with a hint of mustard yellow.   I don’t have the ball band anymore, so who knows what exciting number the yarn company assigned to it, but it is similar, though warmer and more yellow) to Paton’s Classic Lemongrass.  I worked six rounds of sc in the contrast color, then just pulled the yarn through the last stitch and wove in the ends. 

DSCF1819a

I made a pompom with the scant amount of Mission Falls that was left and sewed it on.  It looks totally perfect on a beautiful girl with long, long mermaid hair, and somewhat cute on me, too.

I thought about writing this whole thing up for you and doing a PDF and the whole shebang, but honestly, I don’t remember exactly what all I did, even though I thought I was going to remember.   I was sure I would remember.  Also, the foundation chain edge is a little on the snug side.  I might have worked a couple increases in the single crochet rounds to keep it from squeezing my ears so hard, but I actually don’t know how many or where.  All of which is a little too vague for me to feel comfortable writing it all down as instructions for somebody to try to follow.  Besides which, I know you are all way better than I am about this stuff and you can so easily just figure it out as you go.  Certainly if I can, you can.  For information about the cluster stitch I used, check out this tutorial, or just google “crochet cluster stitch”. 

The two-clusters-together part might seem confusing, but all you do is this:  work one cluster up to the point where you draw the yarn through the three loops, and instead, just go straight to the next ch space and work another cluster, until you have six loops.  Draw the yarn through all six loops.  That works two clusters together, and it makes a decrease. 

DSCF1813

We’re in March now, and I always hope in March that it might be almost spring, that the wind is not so insistent anymore, and that a hat like this, with it’s crochet granny holes, will be wearable.  Hoping.